Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im very dissapointed in the performance base support for the 2.2, i would love to buy performance cams for my 159 with a proper induction kit (not just a stupid cone filter) and a full exhaust. this engine has so much potential but nobody bothers, a fellow member Mr Jay tried to get a full system done but the computer went haywire without the cats and nothing seemed to work and no one reponded here to his request for help, and nowhere on the internet do i ever see cams or induction kits, why is this? can nobody help us poor 2.2 losers out? tired of just the 1750 being catered for...... :(

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is the 2.2 shared with any other manufacturer, this way you may be able to buy parts designed for more mainstream marques and apply them to the Alfa?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
May be you are not looking hard enough;)
Everything you mentioned is available.:)
What's doable, what is available?

There doesn't seem to be a single point of knowledge on how the 2.2 can be improved.

We all know about exhausts and remaps for the 2.2 but beyond that it appears to be very under represented.

Inform us oh Gus of the Alfatune, what can be done?

And more to the point what HAS been done?

:)

Sean

·
Registered
3,480 Posts

There doesn't seem to be a single point of knowledge on how the 2.2 can be improved.

We all know about exhausts and remaps for the 2.2 but beyond that it appears to be very under represented.
Nobody seems to want to spend any money improving a 2.2,very few only for exhaust and/or remap,but no one ever asks for cams,maybe because if you want more power you spend the difference and buy a 2.4:lol:

·
Registered
178 Posts
agreed about the need for more performance; sister in law had a 2.2 Brera, felt like it had the power to weight ratio of a steam roller!!

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol but what about the guys who are enthusiastic about theyre 2.2 and dont mind rather spending than buying a 2.4? i am one of those, i want to see what this thing can do, not a 2.4........ also alfa tuner can you please direct me to where i can find these things? maybe today is my lucky day? hehe also do you maybe know of a cure to bypass the cars crazyness when cats are removed? im sure autodelta knows, but their secrets are better kept than the KFC secret recipe!

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Inform us oh Gus of the Alfatune, what can be done?

And more to the point what HAS been done?

:)

Sean
and not even exhausts are properly covered, no full systems have been succesfully done, and commanderfish's claims on his cat-back system seem impressive but there were never any videos/pics/graphs/head to head tests done by him so were still semi in the dark. also i suspect my cats are blocked for several reasons that are irrelevant now so i need them gone!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
lol but what about the guys who are enthusiastic about theyre 2.2 and dont mind rather spending than buying a 2.4? i am one of those, i want to see what this thing can do, not a 2.4........ also alfa tuner can you please direct me to where i can find these things? maybe today is my lucky day? hehe also do you maybe know of a cure to bypass the cars crazyness when cats are removed? im sure autodelta knows, but their secrets are better kept than the KFC secret recipe!
I am sure that if you went to a good exhaust maker there that they would make you decated manifolds,if you so much want them.As for your ecu,i dont know who can do it there,all I know is that we are a bit too far.:lol:

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
are you from autodelta alfa tuner? also getting the full exhaust done isnt the real problem, the problem is to get the ecu to ignore the missing cats, if someone overseas is able to bypass it, i would even be willing to send my ecu overseas to get it done. and if i need to import cams and induction kits, i would do that too?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have re-read my opening post and i want to apologise, it sounds like im lashing and bashing out at you guys but i can asure you im not, im sorry if it comes across this way. im just really enthusiastic to to my 2.2 and make a contribution with the end result to alfa society with advice and tips and experience being someone who did some mods to the 2.2

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
and not even exhausts are properly covered, no full systems have been succesfully done, and commanderfish's claims on his cat-back system seem impressive but there were never any videos/pics/graphs/head to head tests done by him so were still semi in the dark. also i suspect my cats are blocked for several reasons that are irrelevant now so i need them gone!
He did have it rolling road tested. I have also driver then the car and it flies beautifully.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is the 2.2 shared with any other manufacturer, this way you may be able to buy parts designed for more mainstream marques and apply them to the Alfa?
its a 2.2 ecotec engine mostly, alfa i think just put on the twin phaser system and direct injection, im too afraid to buy performance upgrades for the GM brand variants, because the risk that it might not work is there because its so heavily modified in alfa form.

and i cant really get specifics about what was modified on it because the only info i managed to obtain is on wikipedia and they only say in the alfa its heavily modified :confused:

GM even sells a bolt on supercharger kit for their 2.2's but once again i dont know if it will work and is probably too expensive, other info ive obtained from the ecotec community also is that some guys go buy the turbo and manifold of a saab 9-3 2.0 turbo and bolt it on and do some piping and tuning. quite interesting, but im not sure if i want to go to such extremes, im more looking at some good 'ol N/A mods, call me old school but i still believe a proper N/A car trumps a turbo car.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Good little engine. Loves to be thrashed within an inch of its life:)

Needs a map, an inbox filter & if you're feeling flush, a subtle but free flowing exhaust.

I upgraded to a 3.2 as couldn't be bothered with all the mods as i knew I'd never be happy with four in line cylinders.

A box fresh 3.2 is stunning:inlove:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts