Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if someone already started this discussion, but what is the opinion of this parish to the news that here in the UK the sale of petrol/diesel engines will be banned in 10 years time? I do believe that it doesn't affect owners of vehicles before whatever the deadline is set to be but what do members here think this will do to the car owning landscape in the not so distant future?

I personally think owning and driving a petrol or diesel only car will become more niche over time and probably quite expensive either through additional tax or just through higher prices at the pumps which will either become more scarce or evolve to become like service stations where people can charge their electric batteries in 15-30 minutes while doing their shopping or working on the wifi.

Maybe we won't even be out driving as much as new novel pandemics bubble up or the ozone layer disintegrates and it's too dangerous to go out without factor 5000 on (very 90's trope I know). In all seriousness, I do hope that classic car enthusiasts can still potter about while the rest of society whizzes past in their instant torque 600+bhp self driving machines.

·
Registered
36,013 Posts
I’ve got 12 months or so before I will probably have to hand back the Stelvio from the PCP. There probably won’t be any equity in it. I might get a Fiat 500 electric.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,135 Posts
With the scramble of the car manufactures to introduce electric and hybrid cars I think before 10 years time it will be difficult to buy an ICE car.

·
Registered
15,335 Posts
I think daily use petrol and diesel cars will largely die out but it will take a very long time. If new ones can't be sold after 2030 there will still be a lot of them kicking about. To ban their use and require them to be scrapped would be stupid, wasteful, and really not very green.

I suspect that in 20 years, instead of hybrid turbos and remaps, the kids will be doing trick stuff with batteries and electric motors.

I have recently started listening to Johnny Smith and Richard Porter's podcast. They were discussing the Jag milkfloat, for which there is a race series apparently. Porter's Jag was going back for some software upgrades developed in the race series to give both power and range. In the future this will be downloaded automatically.

I find myself becoming more interested in the technology. Retro-fitting to older cars I find very cool.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It seems Alfa are miles and miles behind, with BMW, Merc, Audi, Jag etc all introducing electric vehicles etc what are Alfa doing???

No news about the Tonale, no news on any new vehicles apart from high performance Giulias who most people cannot afford! Took them years to just update the Giulia!

·
Registered
36,013 Posts
There’s the hybrid Ghibli from Maserati. I hear that a Giulia and Stelvio could soon be available, a retro fit would be good but the non hybrid cars will go and pollute less wealthy countries as they get older. It happens already.

·
Registered
712 Posts
As long as the technology continues to develop and the costs come down. I’m still waiting to see an exciting electric car that isn’t a Taycan or a hypercar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
I guess petrol cars will just become a classic, I've got a 37 year old Alfa I'm sure I could stretch a Giulia or late Giulietta until retirement in 2046

·
Registered
712 Posts
Might well be the case, especially with the talk of the speed cap on new ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
752 Posts
I can't help think that some governments will make amendments to that date. Move it around however the market is indicating. 10 years is not very long, but think about the availability of electric and hybrids 10 years ago. Not much then, quite a bit more common now. Still I think petrol/diesel will still be important for people who cover large distances to remote areas and people who need towing capacities.

As all the electric vehicles being made now, and built in the past 5 years will be 10 to 15 years old by the time the proposed ban is enacted. It will be interesting to see how much life those cars have left in them at that stage and once all their warranties expire.

The thing is with deadlines is that if it's out beyond one political cycle then does it really mean anything to the ones who made the law?

·
Registered
38,437 Posts
Hopefully they will have sorted the charging infrastructure and power supply grid capacity by then, because if everyone went electric tomorrow neither would cope.

We need clean power stations too otherwise the pollution is shifted from one place to another.

I don't think ti will be too bad driving electric vehicles though, some are very impressive.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Read a while back that a electric car has to do over 10000 mls plus to pay back its carbon footprint. Many of these may never pay it back. Never heard this mentioned in debates

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I still think the electric car is hampered by its power storage facility i.e battery technology and will need to improve massively before it can reach reach the versatility of an ICE. I’m sure that will come but to what cost?

At the moment an electric vehicle requires the user to adapt to its limited capability, whereas an ICE powered vehicle allows the user to continue with their life without feeling the need to have to make sacrifices to adapt to its limited storage capacity and charging requirements.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Oh, and what about the oil giants and Arab states there business is oil ! as much as good ideas
of " saving the planet " ( which I'm all for ) all the people in the petroleum industry and more will be
proper hissed of !

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
The thing is with deadlines is that if it's out beyond one political cycle then does it really mean anything to the ones who made the law?
I think your implication is right - let's pick a date and run for the hills. In any case, deadlines on major projects are notoriously unreliable, and seem to be even more so on government projects. I see the government's statements more as repeating the commitment to move in that direction, and it's good that there's agreement across parties.

The change-over is going to be a nightmare, and loaded with unintended consequences and monstrous costs. Nevertheless, we need to do it, and the time for dithering has long passed. Say goodbye to the motor age, it was great while it lasted.

·
Registered
36,013 Posts
The irony is that VW were the first to be “caught” for cheating on emissions. They are also first in fixing it. The money they paid customers for buyback was insignificant considering they later resold the 300,000 cars in the US. They now have access to funds from the local government and the unions which nobody can match. Being caught has given them a head start in becoming the main car producers as others cannot afford to stay in the market.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts