Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as most of you know ive had a few problems with my spider. Over the last 4 months now she has had new engine and gearbox, new clutch, HID kit, new hood motor and new rams all round and super chip at £600. i gave £2500 for the car spent that again on it adn now.......

All done last week new MOT (after new exhaust system, x4 new tyres, new ABS unit, x2 new headlights).

all has been fine for a few days now i get in the car to go to work and GREAT!!! now she wont start. turns over but wont catch.
engine management light on fuel pump primming key code light off but nothing.
She was fine last night getting home from work and now all of sudden she has a "moment" any of you guys have any ideas??

The car is now left (dumped) in maidstone untill she will fire up again :(

if you guys have any ideas please help as ive now had enough and she will be going up for sale (if you interested in a phase 2 spider with red leather and dash let me know.)

Thanks so much for all your help but ive just lost faith now.
and going to loose my job over this car soon as now had 9 days off without a car.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Is it the immobiliser Chris?, it won't start if its immobilised.

Don't give up now fella, after all that TLC you have been giving her she will pay you back in a good way. Might be she's not liking the cold?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfornatly its not the immobiliser, i cant work out what problem is one minute shes fine the next nothing.... that whats frustrating me the most.

i knw as soon as shes running again i will be smilling but shes cost me nearly £2500 in parts and servicing and abour and i cant justify it anymore....

been onth e phone to 4 people now if they could drive down and plug her in to tell me the fault and there saying £100+vat to just drive there!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I sympathise.. I don't have any fancy diagnostic scanners etc but do have FiatECUscan, interface and a working laptop if it will help on your car? Use it on my 156. I'm in Maidstone too so it would be no problem.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Are you in the AA ?

If not join today on there least expensive relay service. Then alledgedly breakdown tomorrow and get towed back to where ever you want the work carried out.
Might work out cheaper and you'll be in the AA if you happen to breakdown.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The TS engine is renowned for having problems with the crank sensor but IIRC it tends to fail when the engine is hot and then once the engine cools down the engine starts ok.

Also the air flow meter can cause starting issues, I had this on my V6 but it would start if I disconnected the MAF and run ok to get the car home.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Second that for the AA , join up and give them a call and they should be able to sort you out . Good luck & hang on in there .:)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i tried the maf - didnt make a differance.....
the AA could be a good bet...

just need to find out whats wrong with her first though...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Second that for the AA , join up and give them a call and they should be able to sort you out . Good luck & hang on in there .:)
You cant not be in some kind of motor recovery organisation owning an Alfa.

They have got me out more than a few scrapes in the past !

·
Registered
274 Posts
You cant not be in some kind of motor recovery organisation owning an Alfa.

They have got me out more than a few scrapes in the past !

Keep hold of the car it will all work itself out :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same problem with my old GTV. To cure it I disconnected the battery, left it overnight and then refitted the next morning. It fired up fine thereafter and had problem free motoring for nearly 2 years in it.

If problem persists I'd suggest a decent auto-electrician might be a good bet.

·
Registered
286 Posts
sorry to hear about all the troubles with the spider , but as the others have said dont give up now.
i was wondering where you got your hood rams from as the 2 main ones on my spider are leaking.
sure you will get it all sorted

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good luck Chris, I'm free from tomorrow afternoon, 3pm-ish if Go-Italia can't get out to you! I'm sure an expert will sort it in no time.

I'm sure it's probably something simple.. and annoying :mad:

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Stick with it.. after all the work you have had done it's probably something simple like a wiring connector come adrift.. after major work it is usual to have to shake down a snag or two..

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had an similar problem on mine it would turn over but not fire a couple of years ago it turned out to be a dodgy fuse in the engine bay changed it and it fired up straight away. The poblem i have with mine is cold starting it always takes several attempts i have changed the maf and temp sensor, plugs, leads etc still the same and fiat ecu scan shows no problems or error codes. Keep us posted Chris it will be interesting to find out what it is.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts