Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ciao Alfisti,

This morning when I turned the lights on on my 155, I realized that one of the license plate lights was off, while the left brake light was on constantly. Went to the shop and replaced both light bulbs for the license plate - both were dark as if burnt. I noticed the right license plate light was still off, so I inverted the bulbs, just in case, to no avail. Then I noticed the left brake light was not on constantly anymore... in fact neither of the brake lights work at the moment! @W$% :rant:

That's the first time something like that happens to me. What the heck is going on? Any idea? How do I troubleshoot this? :confused:

W

·
0 Posts
Look at the rubber grommet between the bootlid and body. Push up the grommet and check the wiring, you'll probably find some broken or worn cables.

wrinx

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Ah.. those bulb-holders for the licence plate bulbs are a *****.

The bulb is one of those all-glass type with the bent wire tangs, rather than a metal base-socket. The glass touches the holdes and they melt a bit, which is what scorches the bulb.

You'll have to check the connectors. They have 2 bent metal "Y" connectors that are supposed to touch the tangs on the bulb. If the tangs are pressed too tightly against the bulb, or if the bulb can rock slightly in the holder, you may lose a connection.

Use a little screwdriver to prise the tangs on the bulb away from the glass a bit. If you can, carefully squeeze the sides of the "Y" connector together in the bulb holder too.

Basically, you want the metal tangs of the bulb sticking out further and the "Y" connector on the holder to be tighter, so you get a metal-to-metal contact.

Those holders are cheap though... if yours are too scorched you can buy new ones for not much.

I dunno about the brake lights but you'll find that the connector block on the back of the light has these "Y" clip type connectors on it. You can only try squeezing them together and see if that works... I have a running battle with a tail-lamp that's just caused by a loose "Y".

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pfew, haven't been able to tackle the license plate light bulb issue again, but the brake lights are working. :p

Turns out when I investigated the "one brake light always on" issue I fiddled with the bulbs on both sides and that wasn't a good thing. I finally found out that the little metal piece that holds the brake light bulb in place on the left has a shape different from the one on the right. Thus you don't set those bulbs in in a symmetrical manner, but for some reason when I changed the bulbs previously, I must have forced one in.

As to my remark mentioning "rear" brake lights... Duh! Please forget about it, it was the end of a busy day. But if someone ever sees front or side brake lights, please send a pic. :lol:

Now on to the non-working license plate bulb. And I know a 155 that's going to get fuse-tested all over this week-end. :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts