Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to this report the Alfa badged MX5 is in doubt..

Fiat or its Abarth performance subbrand are likely to get a roadster from Mazda instead of Alfa Romeo, sources say.

Fiat and Mazda product planners plan to meet soon to discuss the potential badge change for the MX-5-based two-seat car, the sources added.

Alfa, which will debut a concept version of its planned 4C convertible at the Geneva auto show on Tuesday, was supposed to get the Japan-build roadster at the start of next year.

Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne, however, put that plan in doubt when he told the Financial Times last September that there won't be any Alfas built outside of Italy as long as he is boss. Marchionne plans to stay at Fiat-Chrysler until at least 2017.

Marchionne reconfirmed at the Detroit auto show in January that no Alfas will be built outside Italy, but declined to discuss the future of the roadster that Mazda is supposed to make for Alfa.

He said more details about future Fiat Group products would be revealed in early May.

The sources say that Fiat's product planners in Turin are looking for ways to fulfill the terms of their supply contract with Mazda because walking away from the deal would be extremely expensive, something Fiat wants to avoid as it aims to return to profit in Europe by 2016 after posting heavy losses in the region last year.

The sources didn't say which other brand is the most likely to add the roadster. Fiat's other near-premium brand, Lancia, is not in contention for the car because Marchionne has decided to reduce the 108-year-old marque to a one-model brand, the Ypsilon, that only is sold in Italy. Lancia will be discontinued outside its home market starting this year.

The planned 1.4-liter turbo-gasoline roadster probably would be too small and underpowered for supercar brands Ferrari and Maserati. That leaves the Fiat brand and Abarth.

"Abarth really makes sense for a lightweight, small displacement, high-output two-seat roadster, which perfectly fits the brand's DNA," one of the sources said.

During previous discussions about the Alfa-Mazda roadster, Fiat said that the car would be an heir to the legendary Duetto Spider driven by Dustin Hoffman in "The Graduate." Mazda will build the roadster at its factory in Hiroshima.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont care what Sergio says, if this car is good (which I am confident it will be) then they will achieve far more sales as an Alfa Spider than they will as a Fiat or an Arbarth

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
Exactly FIAT is not seen a luxuary or even quality so they will sell very few £25k convertables, Arbarth is even more niche than Alfa, again they will stuggle to sell many £25k cars.

Alfa has history of that type of car and at that price point.

G

·
0 Posts
More indications that they may be taking Alfa upmarket into the premium space just below Maserati. I suspect they will have a 4C spider/targa for Alfa instead of an Alfzda.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it will also be a major part of their marketing strategy for Alfa. All made in Italy.

·
Registered
934 Posts
What the source of the story ...? personally I was looking forward to the spider ... I do care where Alfas are made but not so much that it would stop me buying the Alfa version of the MX5 ?

The 4C is a bit hardcore for my needs but a spider is not ...

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What the source of the story ...? personally I was looking forward to the spider ... I do care where Alfas are made but not so much that it would stop me buying the Alfa version of the MX5 ?

The 4C is a bit hardcore for my needs but a spider is not ...
AutoNewsEurope is where this came from

Its funny though, since Marchionne supposedly said this as long ago as last September, why has it just come out now?

I agree, the 4C isnt the same, you could quite easily have the 4C and a "softer" spider

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Does this explain the Abarth Facebook page advertising a Biposto?

If it's true, Marchionne really has lost the plot. Saving Alfa by killing every model in development is just beyond stupid.

I'm not completely convinced though. Mazda seem to think they're helping develop an Alfa...

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
More indications that they may be taking Alfa upmarket into the premium space just below Maserati. I suspect they will have a 4C spider/targa for Alfa instead of an Alfzda.
If true I have bought my first and last Alfa.:cry: I cannot afford to move up to just below Maserati.:(

·
Registered
41,387 Posts
If true I have bought my first and last Alfa.:cry: I cannot afford to move up to just below Maserati.:(
same here... unless the residuals are really bad then i might be able to afford a 4-5 yr old Giulia...if and when that comes.

G

·
0 Posts
Well it does look like they will keep the Giulietta going for a while as they are putting the 4C engine in it, which certainly sounds like a good move. I suspect we may hear more at the Geneva show, yet another 5 year plan I guess.....:lol:

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
As far as I know the two cars were only going to share the basic bodyshell structure - perhaps this can be manufactured in Japan and then shipped to Italy to be assembled?

I really hope this rumour is just that as I really liked the idea of a new small spider.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Yeah, I wonder if they could send the car shells, sans engines, to Italy for final assembly. Doesn't sound particularly efficient, though (although I don't know much about auto manufacturing)

As it's already in development, I can't see the benefit of Alfa cancelling this car just for the sake of being able to say "Alfas are only built in Italy". It's not like Japanese cars have a bad reputation...

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
SpideX must be almost ready by now (i.e. they would have already paid most of the development costs) so I think it's un 'aringa rossa. :)

Sergio might not want to "queer the pitch" at Detroit regarding *where* SpideX is built. Italian unions might be expecting/hoping to assemble it in Italia (with the tooling etc. brought over from the land of the Rising Sun) and Sergio wants them onside so that they agree to some radical concession (like working 35 hours a week.. :D)

Or Sergio might be locked into negotiations about how much Mazda get paid for each car they build, looking for a dsiscount now that he's realised they'll sell millions of them (or he has capacity and thinks he can do it cheaper)...?

Remember Sergio engineered GM's buy-out of it's promise to buy FGA... he sold 500 to Ford as the Ka for the price the entire platform cost to develop (allegedly) and nicked Chrysler "for peanuts" (notwithstanding Chrysler was a crock losing millions a day)... so this comment might be for someone else's benefit, not for ours.. since we knoe the SpideX will be a Japan-build job. The average US punter won't care.. and they might just remember that Sergio said all Alfas will be built in Italy..

I'm expecting no change (started saving... :thumbs: )

Ralf S.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts