Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Have just bought my 3rd alfa with my heart and not my head. It's a 1999 Gtv V6 in Novola Blue. However i don't have the masterkey or code. Under what circumstances is this going to bite me? :tut:

Is it worth replacing the alarm?

·
Administrator
46,138 Posts
In the UK, no-one has the code. It wasn't distributed, something to do with UK insurers not liking it.
The lack of a master key could be an issue if for some reason your CODE system reset itself, but it's unlikely. Alfa dealers will tell you that in such an eventuality you'll have to pay £1k+ for new locks, ECU, etc. But there are ways around it. I don't have the link to hand at work, but there are places that can help for around £150 I think.

A

·
0 Posts
My youngest son did exactly the same thing, same car, same year. He only got one key with it.I got a locksmith in to copy the key and he was quite confident in saying that such things are not the problem they used to be. He basically said if you have the key it is usually possible to sort the car.
On the basis of "if its not broke don't fix it", I wouldn't have a new system fitted, you are talking 4 figures for the proper Alfa system. Theres lots of stuff about keys and alarms in past threads on here, just bear in mind that technology marches on and some of the info may be dated now.
Enjoy your car, look after it and worry about it if or when it packs up,its the only way to be with an Alfa.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks alfafamily! Sounds like the sensible choice! I have 2 keys but only one works to set the alarm! Any idea why?

·
Administrator
46,138 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
thanks alfafamily! Sounds like the sensible choice! I have 2 keys but only one works to set the alarm! Any idea why?
Not quite sure what you mean on this,you might need to read your handbook,it can get a bit involved depending on which keys you have.You should have a small black or grey remote as well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
However i don't have the masterkey or code.
During my current CODE 'situation' I investigated how I could get my 5 digit CODE.

An individual cannot obtain their code, which is held by the International Security Register (ISR). You must get an Alfa dealer to fax them, or a representative such as Retaina Group. They will then fax the code back to the dealer and they will pass it on to you. Reassuringly convoluted, but the only way I could find.

Whitequay are getting mine, I thought it prudent to get it before I need it next time. :p

Regards,

Blakie

A

·
0 Posts
Thats interesting Blakie. When the locksmith did our key he gave me four codes which he took off his laptop and said there hang on to these,you will need them if you ever have a problem..Do you think they are just codes for the key?

W

·
0 Posts
I was told by an ex-dealer recently that it is no longer the problem it was. The master key scenario has been side stepped by new technology. :)

Typical really as mine is a parallel and I have the code and everything, like Bazza said it was just the U.K supplied cars that withheld codes.:rolleyes:

Best to get on with it and worry about it when (sorry, 'if' ;) ) it happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts