Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been saving my pennies for a while now with a view to buying a Giulia Cloverleaf at the earliest possible opportunity. I've done more research ahead of any previous car purchase and even dragged my daughters to Frankfurt to view and sit in the car e.t.c, e.t.c. It's not even that I need a new car given that I'm still in love with my 159 and won't be giving it up.

Now the bombshell that there's to be no RHD manual option!

I've been driving for more years than I care to remember and have owed countless cars, but never an auto! Obviously a test drive will be a must, but in the meantime, can I call on the forum's expertise in guiding me through what I can expect when (and if) I make this transition? As a committed "manual" driver, is this likely to be a deal breaker or will I realise that there is life after the manual gearboxes I've been used to?

I'd be very grateful to receive your thoughts........

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I feel your pain.
Been waiting for this car for ages and was really looking forward to getting back in an Alfa but for me, auto only is a deal breaker. I've driven this gearbox in a few BMW's (mostly m135i) and I really don't like it, leaves me feeling disconnected from the car.
If it was a decent DCT box like in my old M3 then I'd be ok with it but not the ZF. Not happy.

ETA - Will try to remain open minded though and give one a go in the hope it's fantastic despite the auto box.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I hate autos with a passion and was really disappointed when the RHD manual was binned. I have a holding deposit on a QV and intend on buying one even with an auto.

My take is that you need to be at peace with the gearbox. I bought an Audi with a DSG gearbox as I thought it was effectively a manual without a clutch pedal. I was wrong, it was an auto, and a bad one. If you get your head around the fact that it's an auto and learn to live with, and work around, the irritations that come with it, then you'll be happy enough. There are advantages to a modern auto, if you're driving hard they are a lot of fun and probably "better" than a manual, but it's the day to day that does your head in. They are slow at junctions (especially the dual clutch monstrosities), and despite their clever software they can't predict what gear you want or need, unless you're in a race track scenario, where backing off probably means you're approaching a corner and therefore need a lower gear, and accelerating hard probably means you need the next cog. You end up learning the foibles of the software and giving the throttle or brakes a prod when you wouldn't normally to try to hint to the gearbox what you're about to do.

I'm encouraged by the positive write ups of the ZF 8 speed, and the comments on the manual are not good, so I'm still committed. I know it will wind me up, but I need to chill out and try to enjoy the positives.

I still can't wait!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yes there is life after manual, and it is a quicker one! Driving with paddle shifters does not make me feel disconnected at all, especially when a gearbox is as quick as ZF 8-speed, in fact it makes me more connected as I can concentrate more on the driving, with hands always on the steering wheel. So I wouldn't worry to much.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I feel your pain.
Been waiting for this car for ages and was really looking forward to getting back in an Alfa but for me, auto only is a deal breaker. I've driven this gearbox in a few BMW's (mostly m135i) and I really don't like it, leaves me feeling disconnected from the car.
If it was a decent DCT box like in my old M3 then I'd be ok with it but not the ZF. Not happy.

ETA - Will try to remain open minded though and give one a go in the hope it's fantastic despite the auto box.
There was an interview with Harald Wester where he said they were working on a TCT gearbox. I'm hoping that is still the case. I really love the TCT on my 4C.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just like life starts after 40 there is lots of life after manual! I'm on my second TCT and no way am I ever going back to manual. I share your disappointment about ZF, a full auto isn't great, no matter who makes it. But dual clutch is different. Unfortunately most people only get to experience it in VAG DSG flavor and I can understand if they are disappointed, I certainly was when I had one. The latest TCT in the 2015 and up GQV and 4C is really good. It's all about the software these days and whoever did the software for TCT deserves a medal. There is no hesitation on pull-off like you get with DSG and in Normal mode automatic it is incredible how the box adapts to your driving style and how it is always in the right gear. I never use mine in automatic mode in D, I use the paddles. Up and downshifts are lightning quick, no way are you ever going to shift quicker with a manual. And TCT is very reliable unlike DSG. I really hope Alfa is working on TCT for Giulia. Let's hope the RHD Giulia with ZF surprises us, it would be a tragedy if people ditch Giulia to buy something else.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Again, I am in the same boat as the OP. I have been driving for nearly 40 years and have only owned manuals although I have driven lots of auto's as well. I don't dispute the new auto's are good but I also don't feel connected or fully involved when driving an auto, more like a passenger doing the steering.
I had already made up my mind I would get the QV when it was launched with the manual box but now this bombshell. I'm gutted!
Oh, and the ZF box is not a dual clutch one.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My father is an ex-traffic cop and hated the idea of autos until I pointed out that most of the current guys I know prefer the DSG type boxes fitted to many of their new cars.

He bought a Merc with one and loves it!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a lot of experience with the ZF box and there is no way you would get me back to a manual.
Full auto for the lazy days and paddle shift, or stick control, when you want to take control - complete with smooth rev matching, downchange blips, better economy, faster changes, no clutch fatigue etc.
I started out with manuals with no synchro on 1st gear, hardly any on 2nd, 3rd and 4th, and whilst it may be fun on an older car, it has no place in a modern vehicle when the auto boxes are so good.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Again, I am in the same boat as the OP. I have been driving for nearly 40 years and have only owned manuals although I have driven lots of auto's as well. I don't dispute the new auto's are good but I also don't feel connected or fully involved when driving an auto, more like a passenger doing the steering.
I had already made up my mind I would get the QV when it was launched with the manual box but now this bombshell. I'm gutted!
Oh, and the ZF box is not a dual clutch one.
It is not, but is almost as quick and smoother. And reveiws were mostly in favour of ZF8 on QV, saying it just drives better with it than with maual.

It was said that Alfa will put a dual cluth on QV version, but we have to see if this happens. After all the engine is the same as Ferrari V8 minus 2 cylinders, so a Ferrari dual cluth should fit?

·
Registered
36,862 Posts
As I said in the first drive thread I've discussed the Ballocco event with my friend Tim who was the Pistonheads photographer there and he did mention the auto was a nice gearbox in the absence of a manual.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It should be noted that the ZF8 used in any of the Giulia variations is a 2nd gen ZF8. It shifts in less than 100 milliseconds and therefore it's actually quicker than almost any dual clutch box.

·
Vendor
46,349 Posts
Could you live with driving a left hooker?

·
Registered
36,862 Posts
There is something cool about driving a lefthanddrive Italian car,in my experience!
People let you out of junctions if you've still got the 'plates.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Probably because they assume you're mental even though, in my experience, Italian drivers (at least north of Rome) are far better than here, especially on motorways.

Reactions: mash4077

·
Registered
36,862 Posts
Yep. None of the passive-aggressive road rage with the driving. Just a quick "you've been an idiot" and move on!
I didn't think people felt I was nuts with the LHD Italian car. Just that I might know people who could sort things out if there was an issue.

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
i have relatives in Italy who refuse to drive in Rome LoL

whilst over there for a holiday recently we rented a Giulietta (manual of course) and my Aussie wife insisted she wanted to try the run out of central Rome to the A1 and onto Florence herself. First time in a LHD manual she not only managed to find the A1 without getting lost from Termini, but wasnt beeped once by the furious Italian drivers around her

it can be done !!! LOL

·
Banned
2,484 Posts
, in my experience, Italian drivers (at least north of Rome) are far better than here, especially on motorways.
yes, absolutely, Italian drivers have a trust for eachother, they can attempt Hamilton type moves knowing the other guy is alert and forgiving

its all swings and roundabouts, you may give way to a car that may be in the wrong happily and without the fingers/shouting/beeping as long as you get way when you are ... rules are out the window, as long as the traffic keeps moving that is all that matters...and it works, like a cacophonous symphony it just keeps rolling along

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I had three Integrales, drove over 150,000 miles in 6 years of ownership and only had one incident where being LHD caused a problem. apart from a loading on the insurance the rest was plain sailing and then driving on the continent (especially in Italy) was a doddle. Agree that driving in northern Italy's autostrada's is much better than our congested ones. Managed to drive from Aosta to Monza in 65 minutes and the bit between Turin and Monza in a traffic queue travelling at over 100mph was the most impressive driving behaviour I have seen, cars merge in and out without braking horns blazing or any histrionics that you would see on the M25... LHD would certainly be an option for me but still hoping for an early slot for a RHD version auto is fine for most journeys in the UK and the 8 speed looks interesting for more spirited driving.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts