Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there guys and gals, been a while, and the beast is actually back on the road after a year of what I can only describe as a harsh lesson in owning a high millage Alfa.

I now have no low down power (and not too much further up either) Map sensor replaced, MAF sensor replaced and checked by unplugging it. I have whittled it down to the Actuator on the turbo.

When the car is powered up it moves, but only a very small amount, so obviously not moving the veins inside the turbo. The arm moves freely and there is a vacuum going both into the solenoid and out of it. I have bypassed this though and it does seem to move a little more, but not much. I have checked the small hoses for leaks, and also the upper and lower turbo hoses. My only conclusion is that maybe there is not enough vacuum going to the actuator??? What controls this, and where does it come from, I have followed the little hose back over the top of the engine to the back and can kind of see where it goes to, could it be a leak back here or the vacuum "creator" that could be faulty, also what controls the vacuum creator, is there a sensor directly linked to it, or is it just meant to be a constant vacuum pressure that is simply controlled by the solenoid above the radiator??

A little back ground story, when this first happened I for some un-explainable reason blew into the small hoses and the problem sorted itself, then when all working fine, when accelerating, I would hit about 3000 rpm and it would suddenly loose power for a split second, then carry on as normal, it gradually got worse until I find my self in the situation I am now!!

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated, it really really would!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Have you replaced the VNT rubber turbo hoses with silicon tubing? If meddling with the hoses helped then the hoses are probably suspicious. Maybe you closed a split when you removed them only for it to open up again later?

Just a guess,

Nick

·
Registered
660 Posts
i think I might have a similar problem as you. think mine is down to snapping where the hose attaches onto the vnt next to air box. I couldn't get it to make a perfect seal. just waiting on a used one to pop up on ebay as they are £60 new.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Hello there guys and gals, been a while, and the beast is actually back on the road after a year of what I can only describe as a harsh lesson in owning a high millage Alfa.

I now have no low down power (and not too much further up either) Map sensor replaced, MAF sensor replaced and checked by unplugging it. I have whittled it down to the Actuator on the turbo.

When the car is powered up it moves, but only a very small amount, so obviously not moving the veins inside the turbo. The arm moves freely and there is a vacuum going both into the solenoid and out of it. I have bypassed this though and it does seem to move a little more, but not much. I have checked the small hoses for leaks, and also the upper and lower turbo hoses. My only conclusion is that maybe there is not enough vacuum going to the actuator??? What controls this, and where does it come from, I have followed the little hose back over the top of the engine to the back and can kind of see where it goes to, could it be a leak back here or the vacuum "creator" that could be faulty, also what controls the vacuum creator, is there a sensor directly linked to it, or is it just meant to be a constant vacuum pressure that is simply controlled by the solenoid above the radiator??

A little back ground story, when this first happened I for some un-explainable reason blew into the small hoses and the problem sorted itself, then when all working fine, when accelerating, I would hit about 3000 rpm and it would suddenly loose power for a split second, then carry on as normal, it gradually got worse until I find my self in the situation I am now!!

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated, it really really would!
vacuum is created all the time the engine is running its the negative pressure thats generated, the solenoid controls how much gets to the actuator like a tap
you are either leaking vacuum pressure or there is carbon build up around the vanes restricting the movement.
the turbos can be diy stripped and cleaned up
one thing thats also worth trying seeing as you have put 2 new sensors on is to do the ecu reset and let the car learn the new parameters, that wont fix it if its sticking vanes, but the 2 sensors are quite important ones

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys, sounds like I should firstly replace these small hoses first of all to be absolutely certain.

How would I do the ecu reset? Is this disconnecting the battery for a certain length of time?

Thanks again dudes, I will let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well well well!! Not done anything yet, but went on a tip run, coming out of the junction need to give it some beans, so knowing it's rather limp wristed usual response I gave some more revs than usual and let the clutch out, low and behold Turbo kicked in where it should and seems fine again. Just had a quick check of things, vaccum feels the same as it did through the solenoid, though the actuator felt a lot stiffer to move, and I have a lovely blister on my hand now. Soooooo I am thinking it is the vanes getting stuck?? I have read about people chucking some Mr Muscle in there, is this the way to go, and where do I chuck it in if so??

·
Registered
981 Posts
On warm days, rubber tubes knit together when split. I bet the problem is worse when its cold and dry and better when its warm or wet out. That's how my pourous lower turbo hose behaves.

Nick

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On warm days, rubber tubes knit together when split. I bet the problem is worse when its cold and dry and better when its warm or wet out. That's how my pourous lower turbo hose behaves.

Nick
Aye up Nick,

You could have a point, I did notice it stop doing it when it started raining a few weeks ago. Just off to get some Mr Muscle muscle to try that, and will order some new tube off ebay.

Thanks dude.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Aye up Nick,

You could have a point, I did notice it stop doing it when it started raining a few weeks ago. Just off to get some Mr Muscle muscle to try that, and will order some new tube off ebay.

Thanks dude.
A word of advice, I wouldn't touch Mr Muscle with a barge pole. My turbo failed after a dose, but that could be just bad luck. Turbo's rely on tight tolerances for an oil seal, Mr Muscle attacks oil because apart from Caustic Soda it contains a surfactant and that = no oil, no seal and NO turbo :eek:

If you want to clear out the turbo, either remove and clean it properly or add some Forte and go for an Italian tune-up. You have been warned :tut:

I'll post some pics of my busted Turbo if you need convincing - a broken shaft does a lot of damage.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A word of advice, I wouldn't touch Mr Muscle with a barge pole. My turbo failed after a dose, but that could be just bad luck. Turbo's rely on tight tolerances for an oil seal, Mr Muscle attacks oil because apart from Caustic Soda it contains a surfactant and that = no oil, no seal and NO turbo :eek:

If you want to clear out the turbo, either remove and clean it properly or add some Forte and go for an Italian tune-up. You have been warned :tut:

I'll post some pics of my busted Turbo if you need convincing - a broken shaft does a lot of damage.
Hey there TOX1C,

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I have already done the deed, good news is...so far, the turbo hasn't knackered...bad news is that the problem still exists!

Done the ecu reset, rather stupidly by the sounds of it cleaned the vanes with Mr Muscle, the only thing to try now is replacing the small hoses which I hope to do tomorrow evening, after that I am at a complete loss, though I have read something about the clutch switch sometimes being the culprit, when it started working again for a while on Saturday it was straight after letting the clutch out a little more rigorously than usual, so maybe that could be it, might check the wires as well.

Well today it managed to make it to work with out going into limp mode (13 miles) that is probably due to me not pushing the old girl too hard.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you're lacking low end power, it wouldn't normally put it into limp mode as the boost is restricted ie. turbo vanes in low boost (high revs) position, either due to being stuck there or actuator not moving them into high boost (low revs) position. When the vanes are stuck in high boost/low revs position, it tends to over boost at higher revs and then go into limp mode.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Replace the lower turbo hose and the VNT tubes. I would change the oil immediately if you have put any contaminants in there like Mr Muscle.

Good luck

Nick

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Replace the lower turbo hose and the VNT tubes. I would change the oil immediately if you have put any contaminants in there like Mr Muscle.

Good luck

Nick
Cheers Nick,

I am picking up some length of hose for the VNT on the way home and well replace those first. Had the lower hose off last week and it is in great condition, possibly recently replaced, though already saving pennies so I can replace that and upper one with decent silicone jobbies hehe

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a quick update.....had green flag out yesterday and had my codes read, turns out it is saying the Solenoid is bust, though it does let vacuum through fine, and I bypassed it last night and still not movement at the actuator so I am thinking it is the Vanes stuck closed?? Does this make sense for no low down turbo, or would it be that they could be stuck open??

I am thinking about removing the turbo at the weekend and cracking it open to give a clean by hand...is this wise and reasonably straight forward??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts