Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,,

thinking of buying a alfa 156,but theres no keys with the car,could anyone tell me is this a simple fix or is it too complicated and expensive,,thanks:)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hello and Welcome !! :)

BigFoot said:
Car with no keys sounds a little odd. How do people start it?
He must be buying it from some 'caravan owners !! :rolleyes: :p :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol,thanks for your replies,but its from a salvage company that im thinking of buying the 156 from,is this wise,,,x reg,lock damage,£900,,,worth it???,,or carrying on my search for a decent one,,cheers

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
What's the 'log book' say - I don't know the full ins-and-outs these days, but there are degrees of write-off are there not .... anyone?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
PS lets be distinct about 'spare' keys and 'master' keys with Alfas, at least some of 'em.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Wrenched said:
What's the 'log book' say - I don't know the full ins-and-outs these days, but there are degrees of write-off are there not .... anyone?
there are categories of written off vehicles, but i'm not up to date on how they work ?

last i heard,

category a - for destruction only
category b - break for parts only
category c - can't remember !!!
there may be a category d too, i think that might cover stolen/recovered with no damage ?

anything from cat c downwards can legally be sold and repaired, but must face a vehicle identity check at your local vehicle inspectorate (VOSA) before a new registration document will be issued. i think it's around 40 quid ?

damaged repairables can be a great way to get cars cheap. many cars are written off for the most ridiculous things. i had a fiesta written off because somebody broke the quarterlight & stole the parcel shelf ! replacing those items would have cost more than the car's value !

personally i wouldn't take a car with no keys. you have no way of testing the engine for a start.
you could face replacing everything to do with the keys, alarm/immobiliser ecu etc, then find the engine is goosed ?

caveat emptor !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the info quattro and everyone,,;) still umming and arring over whether to buy the 156,gona go look at it next week,and if i cant resist the temptation,,which iswhat normarlly happens when i go view cars,,then i shall have a 156 with no keys on my drive,,and lots of headache no doubt,,,we never learn,,we never learn,,lol,,,

R

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't touch it, there's plenty of 156's out there for decent money, it would be a different story if it was rare or something. Could cost you a fortune to replace the keys as it may need an ECU that matchs the keys etc.

Just walk away

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Once you can prove ownership, dealer can sell you a code card, about £10. With the mechanical code on there, they can cut a key for about £85. The card contains the code for the immobilser, but doesn't have the alarm code on it, but some dealers will give this for free.

Then the keys have to be programmed to the car. I was quoted £35 for this by dealer, but used a local autoelectrician, as would have costed too much to get the car recovered to there.

In the end, the code card didn't match up to ecu (possibly because ecu had been superchipped) so I bought a shell of a 156 and transplanted engine ecu, code box, remote receiver and alarm, as well as insides of key.

As others have said, this is a risk. Do you have any info as to why the car was written off, what damage, and what abi category (a-d)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
arhhhhhh!!!!!!!,,,decided to take all your advice's..and leave it,,,and look for a proper 156,,with no headaches,,,thanks all,,will return for more help when i have bort a 156 and it decides to do one on me,,lol,,i though women was bad,,,eeeeee i dunno!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts