Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Comments disabled on the YouTube video. .....
We are not allowed to talk about things like this.
We just have to think about it and keep it to ourselves.
I may have already gone too far.
29 years on, Big Brother truly is watching.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
+ another 1
And another +1.

We *could* post a video of a bunch of young brits having a mass brawl outside a Magaluf (or Faliraki, or Aya Napa) bar at 2am while out of their heads on drink/drugs...... would that be any better an example of "foreigners behaving badly"... :confused:

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
I know it's a generisation but muslims
Are having a particularly bad year in pr aren't they?
Mainly because large parts of the non-muslim population blame all 1.6 billion muslims worldwide collectively for the actions of the very small (in percentage terms) minority of extremists.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Mainly because large parts of the non-muslim population blame all 1.6 billion muslims worldwide collectively for the actions of the very small (in percentage terms) minority of extremists.
Agreed. But their PR is not effective in getting the message across which is what, I think, CamelFarmer was infering.

It would be simple PR to ensure when the Iman condemns terrorism from his pulpit in the mosque the media hear about it. There again perhaps it is not being condemned.

There is a world of difference between passively ignoring terrorism carried out in the name of your religion and actively condemning it.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Agreed. But their PR is not effective in getting the message across which is what, I think, CamelFarmer was infering.

It would be simple PR to ensure when the Iman condemns terrorism from his pulpit in the mosque the media hear about it. There again perhaps it is not being condemned.

There is a world of difference between passively ignoring terrorism carried out in the name of your religion and actively condemning it.
Something like this perhaps?

Imam condemns Woolwich killing as 'barbaric murder' - video | UK news | guardian.co.uk

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
drummer rigby's full military funeral takes place here on friday. i really hope the occasion isn't spoilt by idiots - from either side, but i imagine if anybody it would be the idiots from the EDL/BNP, fresh from a nice breakfast session on the stella at wetherspoons

·
Premium Member
77,202 Posts
Yes but it is nearly a first. We need to see a lot more and relating to Al-Qaeda organised attacks and not just out of control individuals
How would you like this to happen?

Does every Muslim community need to put out a press statement - maybe a Facebook page?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
They dare not do that. Anyone who speaks out against any aspect of that particular faith is putting themselves at risk of violence from one of their more extreme thinking "brothers". Anywhere that it comes under discussion everyone has to take the softly softly approach for fear of offending their views. This is how extremism is allowed to flourish. Nobody dares to speak out because they know it is not safe to. Just as the German people of the early 1930's were afraid to speak out. Slowly but surely the violent get their way.
We also have the minor problem that anyone who expresses their views gets branded by the PC brigade as racist, anti Islam, anti Semetic etc.
We have no freedom of speech any more. If the YouTube video had been about white football fans fighting at a railway station the comments would not have been blocked, but in the case of the video linked by the OP there are no comments allowed. Why would that be?
Even posts like this could come back in years to come to haunt us. You can't say what you thinking if it does not toe the line because people are out there searching the social media for anything that does not suit their views.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
Tinfoil hats, that's the answer. They won't be able to pick up your thoughts then. Be covert and line a beanie with foil and they'll be none the wiser.

R

·
0 Posts
They dare not do that. Anyone who speaks out against any aspect of that particular faith is putting themselves at risk of violence from one of their more extreme thinking "brothers". Anywhere that it comes under discussion everyone has to take the softly softly approach for fear of offending their views. This is how extremism is allowed to flourish. Nobody dares to speak out because they know it is not safe to. Just as the German people of the early 1930's were afraid to speak out. Slowly but surely the violent get their way.
We also have the minor problem that anyone who expresses their views gets branded by the PC brigade as racist, anti Islam, anti Semetic etc.
We have no freedom of speech any more. If the YouTube video had been about white football fans fighting at a railway station the comments would not have been blocked, but in the case of the video linked by the OP there are no comments allowed. Why would that be?
Even posts like this could come back in years to come to haunt us. You can't say what you thinking if it does not toe the line because people are out there searching the social media for anything that does not suit their views.

Hmmmm

2 things to start with:

1 - You Tube and numerous other online outlets frequently block comments on any range of contentious issues.

2 - Why would anybody speaking out against Islamic extremism be be branded anti semetic (sic)

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
Arabic is a Semitic language (as are many others in the Middle East), although I will agree in modern use we would normally mean 'anti-Jewish' when we say 'anti-Semitic'.

R

·
0 Posts
Arabic is a Semitic language (as are many others in the Middle East), although I will agree in modern use we would normally mean 'anti-Jewish' when we say 'anti-Semitic'.
I know that Pud - the Semites are the people of the Arab/Israeli geography.

I may be wrong but I suspect very very few people use the term anti-semitic in conjunction with general condemnation of Islamic extremism.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
"We also have the minor problem that anyone who expresses their views gets branded by the PC brigade as racist, anti Islam, anti Semetic etc."

To clarify, I wasn't referring to Islam or Muslims in particular in that sentence. I meant that if you care to express an opinion on a contentious topic that doesn't toe the prescribed line there is always someone there to label you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts