Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

As per title really. I suspect it's the relay, but I've not investigated yet. The wipers work on normal and fast speeds, but intermittent does nothing and the wipers don't automatically park if they're switched off mid-cycle.

Has anyone seen/cured this?

Cheers,

Iain

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did some checking today, and all the inputs to the wiper motor circuit seem to be functioning. I took the board off and tested all the components I could but didn't find anything. I suspect one (or both) of the 2 transistors on it are knackered. Resoldering the joints didn't help either.

Guess it'll be a replacement motor assembly then...!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have the same issue with my 156 at the min and have been frustrated to find why it has done this, i am now thinking that i will just buy a whole new steering rack and stalks.:( I will be intrested in you finding why it has done this.

·
Registered
39,329 Posts
The usual cause is switching on the wipers when they are frozen to the screen.

I was told by someone in the know that wiper motors are cheaper in summer, as there is much less demand.

·
Registered
407 Posts
So do i presume that me buying a new rack and stalk will resolve my problem?

·
Registered
39,329 Posts
I think you will need a new motor, as I think one set of windings in the motor have burned out.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Do you mean new wiper motor because i have replace this thinking that this may have been the problem but it is still the same.:(

G

·
The problem part is the motor itself, that is if your 156 is the same as any of my 3?

the motor itself, (although i believe there may be two types, so check first) has within its top section where the incoming cable connections are housed, three brass rings, a bundle of contact grease, and three brass contact arms.

the arms tire, and the little contact ball at the end of the arms becomes worn too, so a poor contact results, and it is usually the park/intermittent ring which is the same one, that tires first, leaving you with the remaining circuits or circuit just for a continuous speed or two.

some folk claim to have repaired theirs by cleaning, bending, soldering more onto the ball etc etc but a new motor complete with contacts is about £50/60 i think.

try shop4parts, which is where i get a lot of my alfa parts from, theyre good at delivery too, but remember to check the motor layout/pattern first!

if you're lucky enough to have the type i had and bought, its a doddle to replace too.

wiper arms off, platsic scuttle panel off, split motor from linkage, take note of the linkage and arm positions can help, unplug and unbolt, remove, replace, and reverse to rebuild.

nothing techy and no special tools.

happy fixing
shrew

G

·
Incidentally Iain

i had the EXACT same symptoms as you describe in the opening thread.

some people experience slightly different faults, but mine were identical to yours.

and i too, went to the relay first! ha ha!

shrew

G

·
My old primera did this and i fixed it by cleaning the contacts for the self-park mechanism and bending the contacts slightly to make sure they got a decent contact.

You can see the insides of the motor in the attached pics.

G

·
i toyed with the idea of a used one, and attempted a repair as described but didn't work for me, so TBH i didnt want to be doing the same job again in a short time, so a new one with warranty seemed the best thing for me.

good luck with it though, and you can practice with myold one if you like??
ha ha!!!

shrew

1 - 17 of 17 Posts