Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need urgent help...much time and funds spent on installing DSP and SATNAV on my 166 MY 2001. With the big WHITE connector plugged into the D90 connector deep upfront (plus the ones behind the ICS) and the small WHITE connector unplugged at the back of the ICS, the volume control knob should be working as normal...but it isn't...and neither is my car phone (it works but can't adjust volume)!?

Yes, all connectors at rear are in place as required (SATNAV, DSP, Disc Changer)...battery lead from wiring loom connected to battery and ground lead grounded.

DSP registers on ICS...so does the SATNAV. But as soon as you turn on the ignition with the radio on....it's full blast through the speakers (the front ones I expect)...volume control on ICS doesn't work? Am I doing something wrong or is the DSP amp faulty? How come the phone volume doesn't work either?

Hoping for some expert help!

Cheers DILIP

·
Registered
160 Posts
Try dis-connecting connector C on the rear of the main ICS unit (the CD and DSP connect thru this connector) and check again? If OK then double-check the DSP amp correct function.

EDIT: More specifically - the DSP control bus goes thru the "green" connector (pin 14 with the DSP bus return on pin 6) and the CD goes thru the C1 "yellow" connector (part of the top rear ICS connector).

Check the DSP supply fuses and for correct volume function with the DSP out of circuit to double-check correct function.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate your swift response!
I don't have the ICS dismantled...I have an appointment with the audio man in 2 weeks' time (4th attempt!).

What colour is connector C...is this not the WHITE connector at the rear of the main ICS unit? If unplugging this connector makes the volume control work...will it not put the CD and DSP out of function? What do you exactly mean by 'double-check the DSP amp correct function'? Are you saying then that something could be wrong with the DSP amp?
I NOW know what connectors get plugged where... both at the rear end (SATNAV/DSP/CD CHANGER) and upfront
(behind the main ICS unit...with the big WHITE connector plugging into D90 far back)
I also know that the small WHITE connector behind the main ICS unit has to be unplugged....and it all should then function as normal.
Is there a step I'm missing somewhere?
Over to you.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
Doff my cap to you Dilip...respect.Eye have still to go there. Mines have always jist worked.

However a wee question to ewe as I may be mistook.

IIRC Sat Nav wasn't a NZ and Oz accessory. the ones that arrived were fray Japan. No sat nav discs for Oz and NZ .

has this been overcome by using Holden discs as the UK uses a Vauxhall equivalent.Only for G3 tho.

learnt summit noo the other day browsing wheels oota curiosity as another thread oan wheels ans eye learned that uk euro and rest of the world only goat 6.5 and 7 J options.....However JAPAN got the 7.5 option.....Anybudy any idea why?

Ony ways guid luck my guid man.Keep at it you will get there.

Pomeo

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pomeo...good of you to write!
My SATNAV unit is from the UK....all Alfa 166 satnavs are Siemens-owned VDO Dayton units! Mine is a G3 unit and I've been given compatible upgrade and Aussie roadmap discs by the local VDO Dayton people to try out...no reason why they shouldn't work they say....it's version 9! I still haven't had the chance to try them out...at the last attempt I managed to get the satnav to register in the ICS monitor...but the DSP amp was playing up so I abandoned the quest! I'm not the one to give up...will keep you posted. DILIP

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doff my cap to you Dilip...respect.Eye have still to go there. Mines have always jist worked.

However a wee question to ewe as I may be mistook.

IIRC Sat Nav wasn't a NZ and Oz accessory. the ones that arrived were fray Japan. No sat nav discs for Oz and NZ .

has this been overcome by using Holden discs as the UK uses a Vauxhall equivalent.Only for G3 tho.

learnt summit noo the other day browsing wheels oota curiosity as another thread oan wheels ans eye learned that uk euro and rest of the world only goat 6.5 and 7 J options.....However JAPAN got the 7.5 option.....Anybudy any idea why?

Ony ways guid luck my guid man.Keep at it you will get there.

Pomeo
Pomeo...should've written earlier...but you deserve to know the latest on my satnav front!
Satnav came as an option in 166s in NZ and OZ only from 2006.
Satnavs on 166s in EU used NAVTEQ maps from start to finish....whereas all mapping in OZ and NZ prior to 2007 was done by WHEREIS/SENSIS!
So the satnav unit offered in 2006 cars in NZ and OZ were not the same as the EU Alfa OE units...although they were still VDO Dayton units but capable of using WHEREIS maps (don't know why!). That's where I am at present!
FCA (Fiat Chrysler) here in OZ has directed me to the people who installed the 2006 satnav units in the 2006 OZ cars...and they are trying to find a suitable VDO Dayton unit for me that I can switch with the EU unit I now have in my car...without having to do a retro-fit with new wiring!
I hope some of my Aussie compatriots would be reading this!

Cheers
DILIP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts