Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, The cold weather still causes trouble. Now it has became difficult to start the car. The high idle correction is not working. Before the enigne revved happily about 1500 rpm when cold - now it barely runs. When engine heats up to normal running temperature - it works like a charm.

There must be sensor for the high idle, but where is it? What other things might be wrong?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i recon there could be one of two things wrong,
firstly on top of the inlet manifold you will see a large screw with a 14mm locking nut on it(just a screw if its a later one) take it out and clean it all up,,btw this is the idle screw.
secondly there is a VAE valve that looks a bit like a small gold can with a white top on it,it will have two pipes and a connector going to it take this off and also clean it out and make sure it not stuck.............................................steve webb maybe able to shedd a bit more light on it if this doesnt work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
and you must check NTC (water temperature sensor ) cables and connectors .ECU can understand from there and starting fast idle period when you starting your car cold weather .

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MaxiBoost:
and you must check NTC (water temperature sensor ) cables and connectors .ECU can understand from there and starting fast idle period when you starting your car cold weather .
Thank you very much, but the question still remains. Where can I find this sensor?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jimybob:
i recon there could be one of two things wrong,
firstly on top of the inlet manifold you will see a large screw with a 14mm locking nut on it(just a screw if its a later one) take it out and clean it all up,,btw this is the idle screw.
secondly there is a VAE valve that looks a bit like a small gold can with a white top on it,it will have two pipes and a connector going to it take this off and also clean it out and make sure it not stuck.
OK, I'll have a look at it tonight. Where can I supposedly find the VAE valve? By the description it looks awfully close to the fuel pressure regulator.. I'll have to search for another can like that. Any pointers where to start?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved. Thank you very much for your inputs.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what was the problem then just so we all know what to do next time.. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rule number #1. Put every connector back, when you look what's in it.

The connector of the valve (VAE?) near the throttle body was loose. I recall checking it , but hadn't pressed it back firmly enough.. :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts