Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have recently purchased a 146 which needed a new clutch, which is now repaired.
However, it also has a problem with the heater, as in no heat output whatsoever. This is coupled to the fact that when driven at speed the temperature guage drops to just above 40 c.
Will replacing the thermostat resolve both issues, or is it posssible that there is more than one problem here?
Any advice would be much apprciated

A

·
0 Posts
Assuming the gauge is correct you do need a thermostat by the look of it. Even so with a reading of 40 on the gauge the heater should not be stone cold. Get the engine temp right then see what the heater is doing is the way to go.
I put in a new stat last winter, my guage sits on 85/90 when fully warm, heater is too hot to have on full :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the heater today when the guage was reading about 80deg. and still completley cold. Also the heat selector dial feels very light to turn - as if not connected to anything!
I will investigate further tomorrow. Ta

A

·
0 Posts
I tried the heater today when the guage was reading about 80deg. and still completley cold. Also the heat selector dial feels very light to turn - as if not connected to anything!
I will investigate further tomorrow. Ta
Ah, that'd cause it! :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Had same problem, the outer sheath of the cable (which attaches to the heater knob and the heater valve) has small plastic clips which secure it, it sounds like these have snapped or one of them has snapped..

What I did with mine was re drill the plastic clip and screw it back in..
If that doesnt work then you need to get your self to the stealers and order a new cable..

R

·
0 Posts
Hi, I have recently purchased a 146 which needed a new clutch, which is now repaired.
However, it also has a problem with the heater, as in no heat output whatsoever. This is coupled to the fact that when driven at speed the temperature guage drops to just above 40 c.
Will replacing the thermostat resolve both issues, or is it posssible that there is more than one problem here?
Any advice would be much apprciated
I had this problem, but i did get a little heat, only luke warm at best. £35 replacement thermostat (Quinton and Hazel) from a local motor factor cured the problem. :)

However from what you say, it sounds suspiciously like the heater cable.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
It does inded, you've gone and got a double whammy failure on the heating system, firstly the thermostat, and secondly as rosso says, the cable will have slipped off the air diverter flap, but more commonly it's because the clip the cable is attachced by has snapped.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It does inded, you've gone and got a double whammy failure on the heating system, firstly the thermostat, and secondly as rosso says, the cable will have slipped off the air diverter flap, but more commonly it's because the clip the cable is attachced by has snapped.
AHEM, I said it first not rosso... :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts