Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the subject says; The heated rear window does not work, the fuze was checked and is OK.

What can be checked next? Is there a common fault that can be easily tested and rectified?

If I need to follow the wiring where does it go?

Thanks for any help.

Steve

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Get a multimeter and check for voltage between the metal tabs on either side. When mine stopped working it was because one had become detached. That can't be fixed so it's a new screen job, but a friendly windscreen fitter will sort that out for your insurance excess, probably by reporting it smashed.

I don't know anything about the GTV, but on the 156 you can tell whether the circuit is working OK because (a) the relay clicks and (b) the heated mirrors are on the same fuse/relay and they work.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
I replaced my whole fuseboard and ever since then no problems. Even with me accidently leaving the rear demist on.
Install the fix to save any re-occurrence. Very cheap and simple.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Get a multimeter and check for voltage between the metal tabs on either side. When mine stopped working it was because one had become detached. That can't be fixed so it's a new screen job, but a friendly windscreen fitter will sort that out for your insurance excess, probably by reporting it smashed.

I don't know anything about the GTV, but on the 156 you can tell whether the circuit is working OK because (a) the relay clicks and (b) the heated mirrors are on the same fuse/relay and they work.
What if the mirrors work just fine and there is a clicking noise but the rear demister dosent work? Mine hasnt worked for some time! I take it one of the metal tabs has probably detached then....!?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
If the metal tab is detached.. it's almost impossible to fix.. some say they have managed to solder it.. but I couldn't..

I can solder and weld Kit Kat wrappers together.. but this had me beat..

unfortunatly a loose house brick came adrift one windy night and I had to claim a new rear screen on the insurance,,

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
If the metal tab is detached.. it's almost impossible to fix.. some say they have managed to solder it.. but I couldn't..

I can solder and weld Kit Kat wrappers together.. but this had me beat..

unfortunatly a loose house brick came adrift one windy night and I had to claim a new rear screen on the insurance,,
Soldering doesn't work because the current's too high. I was told that it could potentially be rebonded, but it would quite likely lead to the screen exploding later.

Don't actually break the screen, it makes the job harder and takes ages to clean up. Just go and see your local windscreen place - ideally the one that your insurance co deals with, e.g. National Windscreens for Admiral - and tell them you want it replaced. 'Oh look it's broken', you say. 'Oh yes so it is', they say.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts