Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just before I try to take someone to court over this I'd really like to know for sure - Is it possible to run a V6 GTV for an average of 200 miles per week without a thermostat for over a year?

What is the most likely outcome, running cold in winter and overheating in summer? If the thermostat was removed in September to disguise a faulty radiator how long before the thing gets so hot it blows the head gaskets and warps the cylinder heads?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Don't know... Running cold won't do performance/petrol consumption any good but not sure if it damaging to the engine itself (possible wear if oil has an optimum temperature??).

I would have thought running hot is damaging but depends how hot the car has been running.

My thermo has gone and I've been running it for about a month (engine at 50 degrees).. goes in on Tuesday for it to be fixed.

R

·
0 Posts
It shouldn't overheat in summer, just won't get to temp properly and when it's sat in traffic for long periods it will get up to temp and the fan will cut in more often then it normally would.

AFAIK my spider has had a duff thermostat for ages, I've just got the part to fit the other week so I'll be doing that this weekend. It doesn't seem to have done it any harm.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, I was really hoping that it couldn't run for 13 months without a thermostat - I was stitched up when I bought this, someone deliberately took off the thermostat to hide something and it's cost me thousands to fix.

I can't believe any previous owner could drive a car for 10,000 miles and never once wonder why it never warmed up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts