Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked and there don't appear to be any relevant threads. I have dipped beam but no full beam on either side :(, I have changed bulbs and the result is the same. Also the blue high beam warning light does not come on and the fuses are ok.

I haven't done any checks on whether power is getting to the bulb but I presume not.

Any suggestions please?

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update when the switch is set to main beam in the car the right side according to the voltmeter on the bulb terminals is on main beam and the left side again current at the terminals is on dipped beam when I lift the switch to go to dipped beam there are no headlights at all and no current at the bulb on either side. :(

Is it the switch lever, hope not they are expensive.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Further update: I have dipped beam on both sides with the switch lever in the full beam position ie down, when I move it to the up position (where dip beam should be activated) neither dip nor full beam.

I have checked the wiring in the wheel arch area and it seems to be ok.

I am flummoxed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Maybe PO swapped them over as a bodge as the switch has burnt out in dipped beam position. Easily swapped back at fuse box (on the input pre fuse side). You need to do an upgrade using a couple of relays, one for dipped and for full beam. You can use the original wiring by inserting between switch and fuse - take main power from fuse box. The switch might have enough in it to power a relay, otherwise a clean up and then a recon or new switching all else fails (will last forever with relay mod).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Upgrade to HIDs :thumbs: ;) :D
I don't think HIDs are in keeping with the car; I don't do much driving in the evening so it's probably not worthwhile; additionally there are all sorts of issues regarding legality on cars without headlamp washers, self levelling blah blah.

Woohoo! :thumbs: A result I was fiddling around the fuse box and kept getting the odd crackle :lol: and thought I would drop it to see what is going on and found that the wire for the full beam was hanging around off its terminal as it had become loose. So I crimped it up a bit to tighten it and I now have full and dipped beam. :thumbs:

Unfortunately I do not have time before I go away on Weds to do the ''relay'' improvement but I will make that a priority soon after I get back.

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
Good work Sherlock!:thumbs:

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good work Sherlock!:thumbs:
TBH Jim there isn't much that it can be being a pre electronic car but thanks. I have to say I was concerned that it might be the headlight stalk/switch which comes out at £200, so I was well motivated to try and fix it. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts