Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New problem to add to the list, both dipped beam headlights stopped working tonight, meaning I had to use sidelights and front fogs to see my way home :mad:

Opened the fuse box cover and there is two lots of fuses a lower box with 19 fuses installed horizontally and above that what looks like three rows of six fuses all vertically installed in what looks like a small cage, see pics

I've pulled every 20A fuse out the lower set of fuses and couldn't see any with a problem. Secondly when I rotate the stalk beyond the side lights to dipped beam, I can hear the relay click closed but the lights aren't coming on. My thoughts are

1. Relay is gone (why?)
2. Stalk may be finally broken, I have had intermittent issues the last two winters when the temperature really drops i.e. -2 and below. But I don't think it's this as I can hear the relay click, which would indicate a feed coming from the stalk.
3. Battery related? The car is on the original AR battery, now 7 yrs old. Could this be causing gremlins. I wouldn't have expected so when the engine is running but can't be sure.

Any help/advice appreciated. It's going in on Wednesday to have the driveshafts checked as I'm getting a clicking noise (again) but I'd prefer to sort this myself if possible.

Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Alan I know it's a long shot but could it be the bulbs? I have had 2 go at once before (not on an Alfa I hasten to add) so just may be worth a try (was caused by starting the car in cold weather with the headlights on . .. . . . . )

·
Registered
3 Posts
I lost both dip's at the same time on my 147. Was the bulbs. Was caused by dropping the bonnet to hard after adding windscreen washer fluid and broke the filaments apparently. Worth checking the bulbs in the first instance to see

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok cheers guys will check tonight. Took my wife's car to work. Monthly visit to chick's tomorrow Steve!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alan I know it's a long shot but could it be the bulbs? I have had 2 go at once before (not on an Alfa I hasten to add) so just may be worth a try (was caused by starting the car in cold weather with the headlights on . .. . . . . )
Chick phoned me tonight Steve, guess what both bulbs have blown. With the weather over the last two nights I never bothered to go and check the bulbs, and to be truthful, I didn't think this would be the cause, as I've had problems in the past with the stalk. Feel pretty stupid now. Every day is a school day as they say. :)

I lost both dip's at the same time on my 147. Was the bulbs. Was caused by dropping the bonnet to hard after adding windscreen washer fluid and broke the filaments apparently. Worth checking the bulbs in the first instance to see
Same Mike, should've checked the bulbs but we've had our first snow and wind and rain (all at once) and I couldn't be bothered spending any more time on it.

Got some standard H7s fitted at the garage but I'll order some Philips Extreme now :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts