Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I am having issues with my car throwing lambda codes, the codes are P0161 and P0141. I plugged it in and checked with MultiECUScan and when testing the heaters for the lambdas I didn't hear a single click. Anyone know why?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
I don't think they click ... do they? Ony had one in my 156 as as that was underneath I never bothered to listen.

What make have you got fitted? I had an NTK one in once and it constantly threw error (the ohm rating is wrong!). Swapped it out for a Bosch (LS615 Universal) and no errors and better MPG too!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MultiECUScan says to listen out for clicking when testing lambdas. I have my cats removed so I have mini-cats fitted by the exhaust shop

·
Registered
427 Posts
There are two circuits in most O2 sensors. One just 'artificially' heats the sensor (to bring it 'on-line' faster), the other generates a micro voltage commensurate with O2 saturation of the exhaust gasses. This voltage is what the ECU interprets as a 'rich' or 'lean' fueling ratio (with the 'pre cat' sensors only), or that the main catalyitic converters are working within expected parameters (with the 'post cat' sensor, comparing its' voltage with that of the pre cat sensors).

To the best of my understanding, neither circuit on any of the O2 sensors make a noise, so I'm at a loss as to what MultiECUScan might be on about. A 'click' is something I would normally associate with a relay, but I don't think there is a relay associated with the O2 sensors...(?).

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any idea how I can go about diagnosing my O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction on both rear sensors?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I appreciate you have listed the codes but the description is also important.
(high resistance/open circuit/ implausible readings, intermittent or sporadic fault code detection).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you replaced sensors?
I have recently taken the car to an exhaust shop to get mini-cats fitted because I thought the MIL light was on for the cats that have been removed. So they are relatively brand new. This was before I had bought an ELM scanner to find out exactly what the problem is

I appreciate you have listed the codes but the description is also important.
(high resistance/open circuit/ implausible readings, intermittent or sporadic fault code detection).

Here are some screenshots of two different programs I used. I hope it helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts