Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out that my existing insurer only goes up to 9 years NCD so that's what they put on the renewal document.

I have been driving for 20 years and apart from 3 years when I only had a van ( I have 8 yrs NCB on a van also as van NCD is not transferable to car and vice versa) I should have 17 year NCD.

Difference on renewal on the insurance on comparison websites between 9 and 15 years is about £60.

Phoned up Admiral and explained my predicament and asking whether there is a database of NCD. Apparently not and they work on the good honesty of the last insurer to state the NCD and they only work to whats on the insurance renewal.

Amazing considering they have a database on every wrong doing you have done but not on NCD. I bet if you claimed you had NCD when you haven't and you tried to claim they would soon find out!

Any answers to my quandary. I guess I should have kept every renewal notice since time began but sadly I have better things to do ( can you sense the bitterness creeping in?).

and.............

Had a good quote from one company because the alfa is a second car. Called them up and because I drove a company van not a company car every day I wasn't eligible for that quote. How does that work? I use my van everyday and the alfa sits on the drive you would think that is pretty low risk. What do I know.

Anyway any advice on the NCD proof?:cry:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then what happens when they ask for proof and you can only send them the renewal with 9 on it? cancelled insurance after a crash? or admin fee for them to amend the policy.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Most insurers hit maximum NCD well before 9/ 10 years. I have about 16 years worth but haven't found it makes any difference to cost, but no doubt it depends which insurer you're talking too.

Considering how petty most insurers are when it comes to details you'd expect they'd want more proof of NCD than simply taking the word of a previous insurer. Recently found the same with a home insurer that they were prepared to take my word of how many years I hadn't claimed without any other proof (foolishly I'd let the previous policy lapse :eek: ). Must stop writing reminders on backs of envelopes!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
admiral said they would take copies of previous renewal letters as proof that Ihave more than 9 years. The earliest I can find is for 2008 so at least that is about 50 off my premium. Admiral seems to be maximun at 13 years NCB but recognize up to 20 and give proof up to 20.

Instantly lost the 50 quid when the guy on the phone flagged my wife as having an incident last year. Had no idea what he was talking about until I remembered that my wifes bumper was rubbed in tesco last year and the woman paid to have the scratch done with chips away. Seems the woman phoned her insurance to see what she should do and even though it didnt go through the insurance ( it was only £80) it has been logged on some insurance database as an incident. So my premium went up £50 as a result, my wifes policy I am sure will go up more when it is up for renewal next month and its on the dbase for 5 years!!!!
So by having a 1" bumper scratch and not going through insurance will probably cost me about £700 over the next 5 years, yet they can tell me how much NCB I have!!!!!
What a load of cr*p. They are legal thieves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts