Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've bought a GTV a while back and have only just read the buyers guide (I know I'm a regular genius!!)

The main thing that has me worried is I only have 2 red keys. I need a brown one right! crap...

How bad is this? is there anything I can do now like change the entire lock set. I'm sure I say one on flee bay. I'm guessing it's not that easy and the car will still need to be re programmed.

It said on the buyers guide that a flat battery of electrical faults can cause "costly repairs" any ideas how much of a fool I have been??

Cheers all.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
You need the master key (the brown one) to add any additional new keys to the car.

HOWEVER, it is possible to clone an existing working key, so then have two totally identical keys and the car can't tell the difference between them, so the new cloned key will work, as will the original key.

This applies to the "Code1" system, which is what the GTV has.

I am open to correction on this, but I don't think the GTV ever got the later "Code2" system. The Code2 doesn't have master keys at all, just identical normal keys.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So as long as I never lose both my red keys I should be ok? there was some talk in the guide of electrical faults or flat battery causing a problem? I would have thought the keys and ECU would be set and nothing would effect that?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
You need the master key (the brown one) to add any additional new keys to the car.

HOWEVER, it is possible to clone an existing working key, so then have two totally identical keys and the car can't tell the difference between them, so the new cloned key will work, as will the original key.

This applies to the "Code1" system, which is what the GTV has.

I am open to correction on this, but I don't think the GTV ever got the later "Code2" system. The Code2 doesn't have master keys at all, just identical normal keys.
Are 147's coded systems? If so is it 1 or 2? I only have 1 black key!! :eek:

D

·
0 Posts
I only have one red key for my 98 V6 156, doesn't bother me, I just don't lock the key in the car or lose it, job done, :lol:

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Are 147's coded systems? If so is it 1 or 2? I only have 1 black key!! :eek:
I only have one red key for my 98 V6 156, doesn't bother me, I just don't lock the key in the car or lose it, job done, :lol:
Remember, this thread is in the GTV/Spider section...

147/156 NEVER used the old Code1 Master Key system.
They started with Code2 and very late cars had Code3
Code2 keys can be copied, but they will not work the remote locking or alarm.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Remember, this thread is in the GTV/Spider section...

147/156 NEVER used the old Code1 Master Key system.
They started with Code2 and very late cars had Code3
Code2 keys can be copied, but they will not work the remote locking or alarm.
Very late cars being when?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Very late cars being when?
Don't know.
And remember, this is still in the GTV section...!

Look on your key blade.
If there is a little "2" you have Code2, if there is a little "3" you have Code3.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
i think code 2 & 3 can be taken to alfa and they will get you a copy with working buttons programmed to your car
Yes, but the question only comes up when people don't want to pay the full amount and want a low cost shortcut.

·
Registered
38,271 Posts
There has been occasions when peoples code ECU's have thrown a mental and forgotten the keys programmed to them. In which case you would need the master to reprogram the keys you have.

This is pretty rare though so chances are it wouldn't happen. I suppose jump starting, disconnecting the battery or getting welding done are occasions where the ECU may be "spiked".

I have never had to use a master key in any of my Alfas (or Fiats)

S

·
0 Posts
My Gtv had the battery disconnected for about 2 weeks, turned back on with no issues. Didn't need the brown key at any stage

A

·
0 Posts
I agree with symonh and PaulR, its very rarely a problem. If ever the situation did arise there are now much cheaper cures than the replacement of the keys and ecu etc. The system is basically the same as on Fiats of the same era and several companies have the answers it seems.
This one for instance, ............Does anyone recognise those type of units on their Alfa, I don't but I've never had any cause to look !

www.automotiveelectronics.co.uk

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I agree with symonh and PaulR, its very rarely a problem. If ever the situation did arise there are now much cheaper cures than the replacement of the keys and ecu etc. The system is basically the same as on Fiats of the same era and several companies have the answers it seems.
This one for instance, ............Does anyone recognise those type of units on their Alfa, I don't but I've never had any cause to look !

www.automotiveelectronics.co.uk
Quite right all
You can get Alfa blanks ready to be coded from a normal red key on ebay. Ask around at any key cutter who can do car keys they will probably have the kit to code and cut the new key. Cost me about £30 15 for the blank and 15 with the keysmith! If you ask a good alfa garage they will tell you there is also a hard reset method to over come if and its a big IF you were to need the master key.:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have also no brown key but can get a new one from datarecall for about £100 all in.If you need more info contact tony at data recall..shaun

·
Registered
8 Posts
Likewise, I also do not have a brown key for my spider and I should have known better, also owning a GTV from new! Now one of the keys for the spider doesn't work and, intermittently, the remaining keys will not spart the car. Can the immobiliser be removed from the car and the key code be bypassed? The company automotiveelectronics have given up on Alfas! Says their electronics are rubbish! Not what you want to hear. Help!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts