Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was hoping someone may be able to help with the following, on the way home tonight i was informed that the car had no break lights what so ever, the tail lights and fog however seem to be working fine, and the fused lamp warning light had not come on on the dash of the car.

I therefore suspected that not all three bulbs had failed in one go, and have checked the fusses which seem to be ok. We have searched the car and found a switch at the top of the break pedal and are currently suspecting this might be the cause.

I was wondering before i purchase a replacement for this switch if anyone is aware of any other switches or have any other ideas why suddenly all three break lights may fail?

Thanks for any help http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/images/icons/old_ao/icon3.gif

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for your reply - will trek over to the dealers in the morning and hope its a stock part, can't imagine there is much else to the break light circuit that could go wrong? (famous last words!)

·
Registered
953 Posts
I bought a new switch a couple weeks ago because the original was buggered, I opened it up, gave everything a good clean, put it back together, then had no choice but to buy a new one - plunger went in and stayed in, Doh.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alfa-**** - normally id agree, but i suspect by the time i get the switch out of the car tomorrow morning and then stripped out, the alfa dealer (25 miles away) will have closed there parts desk - so for the sake of £13 i think ill nip to the dealer and get the switch first as i require the car for work on monday,

chillihound - yes i suspect that would probably be the case, i have no reason to think that the switch had been replaced before i got the car (28,000 miles) and its now done nearly 100,000 so i suspect it probably has just wore up

·
Registered
656 Posts
alfa-**** - normally id agree, but i suspect by the time i get the switch out of the car tomorrow morning and then stripped out, the alfa dealer (25 miles away) will have closed there parts desk - so for the sake of £13 i think ill nip to the dealer and get the switch first as i require the car for work on monday,

chillihound - yes i suspect that would probably be the case, i have no reason to think that the switch had been replaced before i got the car (28,000 miles) and its now done nearly 100,000 so i suspect it probably has just wore up
The switch plunger prob not at it's correct lenght

The plunger on the switch can be extended in steps by pulling it or pushing it to shorten it

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm guessing but there are probably two wires going to the switch - try connecting them together with the ignition on, see if the lights come on, if not then the problem is elsewhere.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm guessing but there are probably two wires going to the switch - try connecting them together with the ignition on, see if the lights come on, if not then the problem is elsewhere.
Wrong, the switch has 4 pins so 4 wires, don't connect any wires together unless you know exactly what you are doing.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
The plunger on the switch can be extended in steps by pulling it or pushing it to shorten it
The quickest way is to just pull the plunger fully out & then replace the switch; it will automatically set itself to the correct position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi All

Thanks for all your responses,

Unbeknown to me my father had a play with it this morning; there were actually four wires out of the switch, 3 he said were red and one other (presumably one for each light and a supply/earth cable), when shortened across the switch the lights work - suspected switch,

Im not too sure what he has done to the switch but has fiddled with it and it seems to be working fine at the moment. My father said the switch was quite dirty and grubby so perhaps some grit had got stuck on the plunger or something, so like one person mentioned it may have been the plunger got stuck in or was not adjusted correctly?

Anyway it seems to be working at the moment so will keep and eye on it, but thanks all for your responses and help :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
another solution!

Had the same with the missus's 147. Thanks to this thread I found the switch, and a 5p fix was had.

Literally used a 5p coin between the switch and the pedal contact point and all works once more!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts