Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im using the Fiat at the moment whilst the Alfa is being fixed but a while ago the brakes completely failed. Its not so much that the brakes dont work but that the brake pedal is rock solid! like trying to brake with the engine off, almost zero response. Now I've checked the cylinder and it seems to be working fine and no leaks. Then i removed the hose to the vacuum pump and there was absolutely no suction coming from it. I read a bit about these pumps on google and it seems to suggest that Vacuum pump if it fails can cause the car to lose braking abilities.
What are your opinions on this? Ive found a vacuum pump for the car but want to be 100% sure before i buy it.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Not sure how the vacum pump works on that particular model but if you have no suction, then it's definitely your problem.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah thats what i thought aswell, cause this car never causes problems then i was unsure. You can remove the pipe from the vacuum and nothing happens. So i think im going to order the part cause thats two cars out of order :cry:

K

·
0 Posts
Without the vac pump, you have no servo action. A failed servo would give much the same effect but if there's no vacuum it's more likely to be the pump.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Keith, im assuming that if it was the servo then removing the vacuum hose would still provide suction right?

K

·
0 Posts
Cheers Keith, im assuming that if it was the servo then removing the vacuum hose would still provide suction right?
That is my understanding but it's all theory because I've never worked on diesel brakes.

K

·
0 Posts
Im guessin especially not a Fiat Tempra TD from 1995 brakes :lol:
I drove a petrol one once. It was a petrol one though and I absolutely caned the ******** off it for 3 days. Made a lovely noise at the 6k mark until I thought I'd killed it when I hit the limiter in third.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually quite like the car, the engine is indestructible (apart from the vacuum pump) and ive got the digital dash and centre console so im well chuffed with it.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may just give that a go - but seeing as a new vacuum pump is 25e I'm wondering if there is a point just replacing the seal and just replace the whole thing. BTW when i saw OperationAlfa I thought that my thread was gonna be closed :lol: then I saw you are the Marketing Manager. Absolutely love marketing.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
Its a no-brainer...if the vacuum pump isn't sucking air in, then it can't create the vacuum that the servo needs to work.....although the brakes still work, you just have to press the pedal harder - like we used to have to in the olden days......

At 25euro, why are you f***ing about? Just put a new one on - job done?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At 25euro, why are you f***ing about? Just put a new one on - job done?
A bit on the inappropriate side isnt it? Im not ****ing about, but at a time when I've got a nice increase in mortgage repayments, insurance both health, cars and house, a new clutch going into the 156 and now the problem with the Fiat I would kind of like to save whatever amount i can. 25e may not be a lot but its still 25e that I would like to have avoided. The car is at the same mechanic as the 156 getting the repair so as you say - job done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts