Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I started the car, drove to the bottom of the hill and applied the brakes. The pedal went nearly to the floor and the car was not stopping. I pumped the brakes a few times and thankfully the brakes came back and I did not hit the oncoming Focus however was close enough to see his obvious concern. Since then the brakes have operated normally. Any ideas what on earth went on here?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Ooh-er! Glad you were OK. No disrespect to anyone on here, but I would get that to a garage asap for a proper diagnosis and fix. My guess would be that you've got air in the hydraulics which should be a simple fix - but critical none-the-less, in case you're not so lucky next time. Best of luck with it mate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Air in the pipe? I would definatly pop it to the garage to have it looked at, nothing scares me more than the thought of no brakes!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Hunter had this problem. PM him as it was a massive issue IIRC:eek:

·
Registered
167 Posts
As 159John says get it in ASAP and dont accept a 'we cant find anything wrong with it, here are your keys'
Could be air or the servo, the very least they should do is bleed the breaks.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
:eek::wow::eek:

Oh no! I had hoped that all these cars had been found and sorted by now.

Here's my thread.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...r/68784-159-near-total-brake-failure-eek.html

It was an awful situation, mishandled by ARUK and the dealer at the time, ignored, brushed under the carpet and the fault irrepairable to the point that I nearly had major accidents. Shameful, especially when it came to light that there were a number of UK cars running like this.

It got nasty, legal letters exchanged and my car was finally rejected for another, albeit leaving me out of pocket after legal fees and hire car costs. :mad:

IF its the same as I and a few others had, its a faulty master cylinder and its not a small job to get it changed (seats and dashboard out to get to it).

Good luck and let us know how you get on :thumbs:

Reactions: PATOCHE64

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I checked the VOSA website and my car is in the range of VID's that are affected by a vehicle recall regarding a 'Brakes may fail' issue. I have had the car since new and no one has contacted me regarding this. Who should be responsible for letting me know about this? I contacted Western Alfa this morning who told me to get Alfa Assist out. I tried to tell them about the VOSA issue however they said that they don't use that and have their own website which was down at the moment.

Recall Details for ALFA ROMEO - 147, GT, 159, Brera and Spider

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
The VOSA recall is regarding brake hoses NOT master cylinder :tut:

AR never notified VOSA regarding the master cylinder problems. It was kept quiet and only cars affected were fixed. About 20-30 vehicles all in all I recall. At least 9 of them are/were on AO.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just had a look at the VOSA website. My car is subject to two separate recall notifications regarding brake issues. i am now unhappy. On a scale of between 0 and 10 where 0 is calm and collected and 10 is a intercontinental ballistic missile I am at livid. My 7 month old daughter was in the back seat when the failure occurred. I have called VOSA to ask what the notification procedure is and they have stated that the vehicle manufacturer should make at least 3 attempts by letter to contact me regarding any safety defect. I have had no notification whatsoever. I have also contacted the finance company as it is a contract hire car. They inform me that AR would use the dealer database to establish the driver of the car. They also say that they shall per sue the dealer to get a satisfactory resolution to any repairs if neither satisfy my confidence in the vehicle or resolve the defect.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Legally you're on weak ground unless it can be proven that there's a fault and/or its happened more than once and the fault hasn't been repaired correctly.

They will not take your word for it unless the fault can be reproduced by them/

If you go down the legal route you need proof it's failing and you have given the AR approved service centre at least 3 chances to rectify the fault.

During the repairs, you should be given a loan car of equal size and spec level.

I know how you feel ref the fault but be sure you have all your bullets loaded before you start firing them...

Right now, I'd just get the car into your Alfa dealer urgently. Don't drive it anymore. Insist that the master cylinder is changed for new. If needs be, tell the dealer to speak to ARUK head of technical.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Hunter,

It's more the knowledge issue than mechanical fault that I am taking exception to. I except that mechanical items fail. I am annoyed regarding the two separate recall notifications that match my VIN and no attempt to contact me whatsoever when AR are obligated by VOSA to do so. Had I ended up in front of the on coming Focus on Saturday there would have been injury. Forewarned is forearmed as they say and I believe that AR have shown neglect in failing to notifying their customers.

My 159 was picked up this afternoon by the AA and is already at Western Alfa (poor Western Alfa. I feel that they will be piggy in the middle on this and not at fault). A replacement VW Golf has arrived.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
They gave you a Golf :eek::wow:
:lol:
Ah well, at least its in good hands - they come recomended :thumbs:

·
Registered
5 Posts
saem thing happened to me yesterday - alfa dealer now has car. AA man said it might be ABS unit - sticking valve - Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just occurred to me that in the 17 months I have had may Alfa that I am now on my 5th courtesy car!

Alfa 147 1.6
Alfa 159 2.4JTDm SW Lusso (nice:)
Vauxhall Insignia 1.8 petrol (misery!)
Alfa Mito 1.4Tb Lusso (mental little car)
Volkswagen Golf 1.9 TDi

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update - Western Alfa cannot replicate the fault however have decided to replace the Brake Master Cylinder as a precaution. They have also checked up on the recall issues and apparently Mangoletsi did the replacement hose issue before they sold it to me. Looks like Alfa Romeo and their partners are vindicated on this one - phew!!

I'll put away that VW Scirocco brochure.:)

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Good news about the master cylinder. (and that the recall had been done) Phew! :thumbs: Not suprised they couldn't repeat the failure though - sods law.

I'm sure they'll do a good job but make sure the dash doesn't rub or squeek after its been refit same with the runners for the seats.

A master cylinder change isn't a massive job, just bloody awkward to get to and labour intensive.

I'm pleased they took the attitude of 'being safe than sorry'. Wish my garage at the time and ARUK had the same attitude.

When's the 159 due back fighting fit :confused:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Picking up on Friday morning provisionally. If i survive the journey back from Edinburgh we will know that all is well :lol:

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
my dealer has said they cant find anything wrong so are not planning on doing anything :rant:. Hire car hasnt arrived yet
Sticking ABS unit COULD be the issue, but the brakes should still stop the car :confused:

Tell the dealer to speak to ARUK direct reference master cylinder failures. Lodge a complaint wit ARUK and get a case number from them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts