Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just replaced the pistons in the rear brakes and new pads all round and I have tried to bleed the brakes but the last nipple didn't let any fluid out so I removed the brake line from the caliper and nothing is coming out even after many hard pumps of the brake pedal. The line in moving up and down when the pedal is pressed but no fluid.

1999 156 2.5 V6

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The bad news is just this happens to many cars when the ABS pump fails.

However, try slackening the brake line before the flexible hose. Fluid coming out there suggests the brake hose has collapsed internally so a £15 hose is needed.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I've seen nipples blocked with rust and crud so no fluid can emerge. Especially when the dustcap has been lost.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Callum says that with the hose disconnected from the caliper, the brake hose moves when the pedal is pushed, but no fluid comes out of the hose (should do easily). This strongly suggests that pressure is getting into the hose and causing it to deflect (with expansion, possibly uneven, possibly due to damage), but the pressurised fluid is not getting to the end of the hose. So, this fits with the second part of the Fruity diagnosis, i.e. that the hose has collapsed internally and blocked itself.

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Perhaps. But at least take the nipple out completely, see if fluid emerges when pumped. I've seen and replaced several blocked nipples, zero collapsed and blocked hoses.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Perhaps. But at least take the nipple out completely, see if fluid emerges when pumped. I've seen and replaced several blocked nipples, zero collapsed and blocked hoses.
:
...I removed the brake line from the caliper and nothing is coming out even after many hard pumps of the brake pedal. The line in moving up and down when the pedal is pressed but no fluid.

Reactions: halftone
1 - 8 of 8 Posts