Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, decided I'm not going for the A4, but I'm in the horns of a new dilema.

My wife has said that the Brera is more me than a 159SW, and I have to agree. BUT, the Brera is not possible due to practicality issues, so I am now considering a GT. Unfortunately I have two problems with the GT:

1. In anything but the 3.2 it is underpowered.

2. It is a lot like the 156 inside and may not be enough of a change for me.

1 can be solved by a remap I guess, but what are the general opinions about the interior of the car? Has anyone gone from a 156 to a GT or vice versa?

Also, if I do go for a GT I would consider the Q2 version. Only problem is as far as I can see the interior is only available in black and I'm not sure about the wheels (Honda Civic springs to mind).

Any comments or opinions?

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Ignore your wife and get the 159. :)
The Brera is a beautiful car but far too impractical for my needs. :(

...or...(I'm going to get linched for this :rolleyes: ) perhaps a TT2 :confused:

Nah, sod that, get the 159 and be done with it. The GT interior, whilst still nice to be in, can be cramped and looks like a 147 - maybe too similar to your/my old 156 facelift interior. :)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Whilst the GT may seem underpowered a remapped 1.9 is certainly quicker than a 156 20v as tested by me and a work colleague on more than one oocassion on the route to work :p so it can make up for some of the gap, unless of course you have a remapped 20v in which case you'll have to take the step down I'm afraid, though I doubt there'd be a lot in it due to the extra weight of the 20v. If you do have a remapped 20v though even the V6 will feel a bit tepid. Thats not me calling the V6 slow as it will be the quicker car but the torque wave of a remapped 20v gives the sensation of greater performance.

My remapped GT 1.9 is a lot better to drive than a Brera, more fun that a Brera V6 :rolleyes: , your missing nothing by avoiding the new cars, they lack any sensation of speed and any sort of response through the slow steering, all you can say about them is they are comfortable and look nice.

If you can afford the running costs of a GT V6 you will enjoy it.

The interior is great on the GT, it has the best seats in the Alfa range in terms of support (even when compared to the 156GTA) and even look good on a cosmetic level. Its interior does look a bit old hat now but then I've had it twice, I think the new dash modernises it a bit though and doesn't look bad, its not that similar to a 156.

Regarding Q2, the diff can be fitted as an option apparently you don't have to get the full package meaning you can specify any leather/Wheels you want.

The GT doesn't have the ride quality of a Brera or A4 its much the same as the 156.

·
Registered
495 Posts

My wife has said that the Brera is more me than a 159SW, and I have to agree. BUT, the Brera is not possible due to practicality issues, so I am now considering a GT. Unfortunately I have two problems with the GT:

1 can be solved by a remap I guess, but what are the general opinions about the interior of the car? Has anyone gone from a 156 to a GT or vice versa?

What do YOU think ? Things like interior, wifes etc is very personal ;)
If somebody thinks the GT interior is outdated but you like it: why bother ?

Build in a Q2 system afterwards (as described on this forum :D )

@Sandys: the ride of the GT is better in my opinon then a Brera (weight factor when cornering for example). But also that is very much a personal thing :)

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Personally I like the interior of the GT, and I don't think its similar to the 156 at all (well, not the ones I've driven). The GT is also considerably cheaper than the Brera - but if you bought a GT would you always wish you'd got the Brera?

·
Registered
424 Posts

Also, if I do go for a GT I would consider the Q2 version. Only problem is as far as I can see the interior is only available in black and I'm not sure about the wheels (Honda Civic springs to mind).

Any comments or opinions?
I would get the GT, although I could be biased - apart from being a much better loking car than the Brera it is also far more comfortable and practicle.

Mine doesn't feel underpowered, but as I don't have to tow a caravan I have no need of a diesel (!!!!) so I can' really comment on the oil burner. Also the interior looks nothing like a 156 ( I did go from a 156 to a GT) - but it's all matter of taste I guess - also my interior isn't black either, sort of two tone grey.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
It was the ride and ability to put it's power down on rough roads which impressed me the most with the Brera/159 chassis. If you spend most of your time on motorways it wouldn't matter but I spend most of my time on moorland lanes and bombed out Bradford city centre roads and my old 156 ride was hard work to say the least.
:eek:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just get a 159 3.2 Q4 and remap it.

Looks the same as the Brera inside and from the front and has the size of an A4. Or even a 159SW.

GT, while nice is getting old hat and will be replaced in the next 2 years. Go for the GT if youre being cheap though.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can't afford a 3.2 as I do loads of miles a year and it doesn't make sense.

Will be having more test drives this weekend, so I should have decided by early next week.

Brera's a no-no I'm afraid. No way to transport bikes (never mind back seat passengers over long distances) and it would be our main car.

If the Q2 diff is available as an option then that makes the GT more of a possibility.

Thanks for comments so far, keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Has to be a 159SW 2.4 then Fraser, or get the wife something bigger to go cycling with...
:D

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
How long is it for the new line up of engines in Brera/159? if its not far off perhaps its worth waiting for, all the current line up needs is some tweaks more power to offset extra weight (from forthcoming new engines), better seats (perhaps the TI pack sorts this) and handling, for me no manufacturer does it to my taste (best being BMW in the mainstream) so I don't mind paying for that one myself.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
If you got for the GT Fraser, you will get a 1.9 4 pot, a 147 interior, and a chassis design that's 10 years old. I'd rather keep the 156 to be honest.

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
How long is it for the new line up of engines in Brera/159? if its not far off perhaps its worth waiting for, all the current line up needs is some tweaks more power to offset extra weight (from forthcoming new engines), better seats (perhaps the TI pack sorts this) and handling, for me no manufacturer does it to my taste (best being BMW in the mainstream) so I don't mind paying for that one myself.
does anyone know when these new engines will come on stream?
Anyother info on them - please point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

sorry not trying to pull the thread of topic...............

·
Registered
424 Posts
If you got for the GT Fraser, you will get a 1.9 4 pot, a 147 interior, and a chassis design that's 10 years old. I'd rather keep the 156 to be honest.
Ah , but you will also get a thing of very rare beauty indeed. Now there are precious few cars made these days you can say that about.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts