Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, posted this in the ICE forum about a month ago with no replies so maybe someone in here can advise.

I can't seem to get MW or LW on my stereo, its the standard Bose system with standard head unit (mp3) in a 2009 GT.
Having read a few posts from folk with similar problems I thought that buying a booster to plug into the rear of the stereo would be the answer, but unfortunately it wasn't.
I get no reception whatsoever on MW & LW, the booster gave me a slight reception but with lots of interference. FM is perfect with or without booster.
Granted it was a cheap booster from ebay but I'm thinking the problem is elsewhere.
I took the rear courtesy light out and saw the ariel base,there was a cable leaving the base going into a connection which all looked sound. I have tried a new ariel and also all connections looked secure at the rear of the stereo.
Has anyone any ideas.

Thanks.

G

·
In order to get MW/ LW effectively, the aerial needs to have an effective earthing point on a bare metal part of the body. You could try using 1mm wire from a standard household cable as a test... Remove the aerial base plate and attach the wire to it with a metal washer and secure it, run the temporary cable to a good known earth like the battery negative for now and try the MW/LW reception now. If that works, then find a permanent earth in the boot somewhere and tidy the wire up out of site.

It could also be interference from the vehicle charging system, often manifests in a high pitched whine that increases with the revs of a car and a click when lights, indicators and wipers are used so another option is a ferrite ring, you loop the stereo power plug cables once through the ring then refit it.

A cheap option to get hold of a ferrite ring is if you have an old PC in the loft etc. The plastic front panel has the reset and power button? The cables that run from these buttons will have a ferrite ring that they wrap round then they attach to the motherboard as normal.

There you go... Free fixes to try;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In order to get MW/ LW effectively, the aerial needs to have an effective earthing point on a bare metal part of the body. You could try using 1mm wire from a standard household cable as a test... Remove the aerial base plate and attach the wire to it with a metal washer and secure it, run the temporary cable to a good known earth like the battery negative for now and try the MW/LW reception now. If that works, then find a permanent earth in the boot somewhere and tidy the wire up out of site.

It could also be interference from the vehicle charging system, often manifests in a high pitched whine that increases with the revs of a car and a click when lights, indicators and wipers are used so another option is a ferrite ring, you loop the stereo power plug cables once through the ring then refit it.

A cheap option to get hold of a ferrite ring is if you have an old PC in the loft etc. The plastic front panel has the reset and power button? The cables that run from these buttons will have a ferrite ring that they wrap round then they attach to the motherboard as normal.

There you go... Free fixes to try;)
Thanks a lot, appreciated, I'll give it a go if the rain ever stops! :thumbs:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Where is the arial base on a 156 sportwagon pre facelift?
I have really bad signal and just tried a ferrite ring with no joy? I don't have an external arial and at a loss:mad: heard a out a C Pillar? What is it? Any help welcomed
Also fitted a new radio and it now pops off every now and then 4 ohm radio fitted and bose speakers mod? Tried ice forum with no joy. Sorry for hacking thread:eek:
Thanks

G

·
It's the heated rear window mate;)
The thin heater wires and the thicker side ones are the aerial. The connection is in the c pillar iirc.

Double check that there aren't any broken heater wires. This can affect signal quality and can be repaired with an electrolyte contact pen:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks mate,
Just to confirm... My rear heater works fine but this could still be the issue?
You say iirc?
Thanks for helping

1 - 7 of 7 Posts