Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had this HU installed, am using the K422i full speed cable on a 5 th gen 160gb ipod; cant seem to get artwork on head unit, it was there when it was installed in my renault, though that used a usb cable ....
Anyone help ?

Sounds awesome, BTW have read a few posts that 5.25 inch speakers will only fit brera front doors, I found some Infinity 6522si 6.5' that have a shallower basket than standard that fitted a treat

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
the artwork may well be a USB-only feature. the FullSpeed connection does not provide as much bandwidth, and is analogue rather than digital.

can you re-utilise the USB?

:)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its USB only. I have both wires active in the leon and only get artwork from the USB one.
Thanks for the replies; think i will hook up the second lead; will be interesting to hear if there is a quality difference so will report back when done!

Thanks again

·
7,713 Posts
may not be any obvious audible difference, but in theory there should be.

via FullSpeed, the audio signal is converted by the iPod's DAC from digital to analogue, then sent via the cable to the headunit.

via USB, the audio signal is sent to the headunit as digital, and converted by the headunit's DAC into analogue.

the DAC inside iPods is apparently quite reasonable, so whether it's audibly worse than the alpine...let us know what you think.

:)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Put the USB lead in today, cant say I heard a difference and MUCH prefer having the artwork. Note of caution that I have since read elsewhere on the interweb; the short lead that plugs into the i-pod from the usb extension fell to bits, it is ONLY available from Alpine customer service (ordinary USB / Ipod adaptors dont work) at 27 quid a pop. Now I just need to figure out how to load the alfa logo ...

·
7,713 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts