Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i've done this job on other peoples cars a few time now, but last week had cause to do the job on my own car. So i thought i'll just refresh the memory and read the "how to" on the alfaworkshop website, and noticed that they support the gearbox to prevent the centre seal from blowing. This is somthing i have never done before and not had any problems, but thought that as they were more experienced than myself i would do as suggested.

So a week on and i noticed an oily puddle on the floor thought noting of it, then in work noticed another oily puddle but this time under the car, on inspection founf the centre seal is leaking, and since moving house and not really having the facilities to remove the gearbox to reseal this was wondering if anyone has come accross a little fix (shot in the dark but this is not a good start to 2012)....

G

·
0 Posts
Clean off any oil with brake and clutch cleaner and smear some hylomar oil resistant gasket seal along the leading edge for now taking extra care to get it into the gaps where gasket area that is leaking. Try and go up further than the transmission fluid level to prevent it from finding another exit point. It should prevent the leak and can be removed easily when you get the chance to change the gasket properly;)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clean off any oil with brake and clutch cleaner and smear some hylomar oil resistant gasket seal along the leading edge for now taking extra care to get it into the gaps where gasket area that is leaking. Try and go up further than the transmission fluid level to prevent it from finding another exit point. It should prevent the leak and can be removed easily when you get the chance to change the gasket properly;)
Thanks for keeping it positive, but its leaking a lot now so i have found some workshop space and i'll be removing the box next Monday i hope.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts