Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

This is probably going to sound like a really stupid question but here goes: Can you put a nitrous oxide system on a 2.0 twin spark engine? and if so what sort of extra power could you get out of with without redistributing engine components across the tarmac?

maybe i should explain i've heard or read lots of discussion at meets and around the forums regarding modifications to a twin spark engine and limits to the power you can get out of it bottom line i've been led to believe that there's not really much more power to be had from the engine I have a stainless steel exhaust system that helps a bit with a performance air filter but have heard (somewhere) that re mapping is not advisable due to how the ecu is configured?

my plan for my GTv is to finish cleaning it up with some upgraded performance and handling but leaving the cosmetics alone. idealy i'll buy another car for day to day and drive the gtv for fun with maybe some track days and hill climbing in there.

any advice or even more wild ideas are very welcome! :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Yes you can use Nos and if setup properly you can get a lot of safe additional power out of it.
Making more power always depend on what you can afford and what you intend to use the car for.
There was someone on the forum running close to or over I cannot remember 200hp with his na TS and if you force-feed with a turbo or charger you can get a lot more out of the motor.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Thats good to know i'm planning to do somthing with it in the near furture my Engines is in pretty good condition and te milage is low so i should think it will be a good candidate hoping to take it off the road to do some work later in the year

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Most engines can take a 30 or 40% power increase without exploding, though obviously maintenance becomes more crtical. You should be able to get just over 200bhp fairly safely.

Why do NOS though? It's pretty much only any good for the odd squirt of acceleration and you have to press the "fire" button to activate it. Then the bottle of gas runs out just when you fancy using it some. A turbo or even better a super-charger would probably cost just a bit more and be there all the time you wants it.. :)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i was thinking about using it for hill climbing i figure nos would be good for a boost down the long straights then on the climb its all hp and gear work to pull you up the hill and round the corners

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
turbo or super-charger it:cool:
0.5bar will give you +/-135 safe kw on the wheels :eek:

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
There's lots you can do to the engine - mines been rebored, had high compression pistons, had the inlet and exhaust valves enlarged, and a lightened flywheel - which should have released about 25 to 30 bhp. Saving for a chip now! :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Gary So roughly how much extra power does all that produce? I guess the other factor is cost!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
N2O can give you short term gains of anything from 50bhp to a couple of hundred depending on the size of the jets used. I used it on a Sierra Cosworth that I ran at Santa Pod years back. It was already pushing 570bhp and I had an additional 80bhp from the Nitrous. I never used it on the road though, the gain was just a short term 'squirt' of power.

If you're hill climbing I'd also avoid a turbo, missjudge something and you'll be in a world of lag hell and it'll spoil your times.
My suggestion would be a root supercharger, the additional power is always available regardless of revs, there's less issues with high temps because it doesn't rely on hot exhaust gases. I had a Vectra 2.5 V6 with a Walkinshaw supercharger (fitted by Courtney motorsport) and it was the most drivable car I've ever had with forced induction. Loads of torque regardless of what gear I was in, reliable and sounded awesome.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Hi Gary So roughly how much extra power does all that produce? I guess the other factor is cost!
My car is producing somewhere in the region of 180bhp I'd guesstimate. It did cost a lot to do though!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Alfa made 215 at 8500rpm what did they do since it is the same basic motor

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Alfa made 215 at 8500rpm what did they do since it is the same basic motor
Sorry, I don't understand your question, are you asking me? Details of my engine mods are above. Sure, you can get over 200bhp from a 1.6; however, its undriveable on the road and costs a small fortune!

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
there's a chap with a current thread on the squadra916 forum doing a turbo conversion at the moment - in fact he has nearly finished...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok then guy so the super charger seems like the way to go given the abailability of the power and less cooling problems but realisticlly how much extra power would that produce? gotta look at the power/cost balance as its certianly an expensive option

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Ok then guy so the super charger seems like the way to go given the abailability of the power and less cooling problems but realisticlly how much extra power would that produce? gotta look at the power/cost balance as its certianly an expensive option
In my case I went from 170bhp to 265bhp the only other mods I had (to the engine) were 3ltr GSI cams, exhaust, remap for the supercharger and induction kit. These mods were carried out on the engine when I ordered it as it was an exchange, they lifted out my old engine and literally dropped the new one in (only a few engine bay alterations).

I'll need to dig out the invoice for an exact price but IIRC it was around £3.5k but that was back in 2001.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
You'll get somewhere in the region of 220bhp

1 - 17 of 17 Posts