Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,
does any body know of any decent nos dealers around the uk that can fit and supply a nos kit nothing to fancy just maybe a 50-70 bhp jet ,or any info on what there like etc and if there safe for the engine , its gunna go on a 1.6 :) thx.

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
This sounds a topic for Paddy. :D

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cree shouts for paddy.... :) :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
while some might think its a cost effective way to boost your car using NOS. you gotta look at it in a long run though cree, firstly you got to upgrade your car's brakes etc to go with NOS and then NOS cost something like 30 quid for a decent size bottle which will last about 6-7 sec. is it worth it?? :confused:

i cant imagine it being harmful to the engine if its only 50bhp dry shot type.

i thought about it myself and i said no to myself. :D

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
all the money you will probably spend on getting Nos bottle refilled, you could have got a remap, nice new performance filter, nice new exhaust....... :lol:

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
NOS is fine for drag races or for overtaking, but I dont find it good idea for daily use. You will be driving with a lot of unnecessary weight for all day for one or two 20 second boosts. I prefer to have constatntly +15 bhp than +50bhp for some seconds.
However, It should be safe for the engine if you use it only for short bursts.

·
Registered
511 Posts
You consume about 1.3lb of gas per minute for every 25hp. Therefore a 50hp install will use 2.6lb of gas per minute. A complete fill is about £40 for 11lb. This means that you will get about 4 minutes (allowing for the fact you can't completely empty a bottle). A lot of people talk about nitrous but the only source of info they have is the fast and the furious on DVD :lol: If you've seen this - please forget all of it, a lot of license has been taken for the sake of making the film exciting. As long as you stay below 50% extra bhp then you should be ok.
Just noticed tse_adam's comment above - DO NOT FOLLOW HIS ADVICE - A DRY SHOT IS VERY BAD, it is just asking for detonation and subsequent engine destruction.

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
cree said:
cree shouts for paddy.... :) :)

Shout louder,I couldnt hear you :lol: .

NOS in a normal 1.6 litre twinspark?Especially the sudden blast and pressure from a 70bhp kit on a bog standard 120 bhp engine?Say good bye to your engine if you do it.Why do you want NOS? :confused:

You will only be able to hold the NOS open for about 3 seconds at the most.That Fast and Furious crap of holding NOS open for 20-30 seconds at a time is just that.CRAP.

Unless you extensifly modify the engine internals and manifold,then you will burst the exhaust manifold from the sudden pressure buildup of the NOS and you might see a piston and rod flying out from under the bonnet too.Even if you doo modify the engine and manifold,8-10 seconds max of NOS will still damage the engine after a while.

If you want a decent power hike then go for Cams,Remap,Air filter and Exhaust system.You will gain about 30bhp more with that lot and still have a bullit proof engine. ;)

If you do opt for NOS then good luck to you,NOS for a daily driver/road going car is stupid and not practical at all.Thats my thoughts on it anyway.Best of luck ;)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thx peeps, all these thoughts and im still not sure what im gunna do ,could have nos,upgrade the engine or just buy a 2.0 litre should have done the latter first :( but first off is the gta kit from the boys in italy (when italy reopens ) then after that comes the power :) maybe just go for chip exhuast and filter, but still a far cry from a real gta though lol

·
Registered
989 Posts
daveg360 said:
You consume about 1.3lb of gas per minute for every 25hp. Therefore a 50hp install will use 2.6lb of gas per minute. A complete fill is about £40 for 11lb. This means that you will get about 4 minutes (allowing for the fact you can't completely empty a bottle). A lot of people talk about nitrous but the only source of info they have is the fast and the furious on DVD :lol: If you've seen this - please forget all of it, a lot of license has been taken for the sake of making the film exciting. As long as you stay below 50% extra bhp then you should be ok.
Just noticed tse_adam's comment above - DO NOT FOLLOW HIS ADVICE - A DRY SHOT IS VERY BAD, it is just asking for detonation and subsequent engine destruction.
oh whatever it is, wet shot then :cheese: :cheese:

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
daveg360 said:
AlfaDublin - you know turbos but you haven't got a clue with nitrous. If anyone is looking for info on nitrous please go to a nitrous users forums such as:-
http://www.noswizard.com/bboard/index.php
Sorry professor. :rolleyes:.U seem to know all about this so please explain how a 70bhp NOS kit can be good on a normal 1.6 litre(105 or 120bhp model) engine and keep all the engine internals intact and relaible?.Thats over a 50% sudden increase in the engines original bhp output.And that good for a bog standard engine? :confused:.Somehow I dont think so. ;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I stated that he should stick below 50% above. I was refering to the 3 second rubbish. The first thing to fail in a nitrous application is usually the ignition (same problem as turbo cars, the charge is so dense it prevents a good spark), next would be the stock fuel pump, Then the clutch and drivetrain. The exhaust manifold is somewhere right down the list. The stock exhaust valves+cams will limit the performance way before the manifold explodes (isn't that out of THAT film again :rolleyes: ). For goodness sake AlfaDublin you are so defensive when it comes to people saying your mods are pointless and ££££££!!! why are you so against nitrous? Its not because it would have cost about a 50th of what you've spent is it?

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
daveg360 said:
I stated that he should stick below 50% above. I was refering to the 3 second rubbish. The first thing to fail in a nitrous application is usually the ignition (same problem as turbo cars, the charge is so dense it prevents a good spark), next would be the stock fuel pump, Then the clutch and drivetrain. The exhaust manifold is somewhere right down the list. The stock exhaust valves+cams will limit the performance way before the manifold explodes (isn't that out of THAT film again :rolleyes: ). For goodness sake AlfaDublin you are so defensive when it comes to people saying your mods are pointless and ££££££!!! why are you so against nitrous? Its not because it would have cost about a 50th of what you've spent is it?
Nitros is only for a very limited amount of time.Its not really for a road going car or a normal standard engine.Thats my opinion and Im sticking to it.Turbo power is constant.Let me remind you that Im running 300bhp and 245 lb/ft torque.I would need to have one hell of a NOS kit to achieve those figures on a 1.6 litre engine.My power though is constantly there,no need to push a button to get extra power like with NOS kits for me, ;)

Money doesnt even come into it where Im concerned.I have plenty of it so I dont need to worry about that sort of thing.Remember,I "chose" to invest heavly in and build an engine capable of giving a "constsnt" 300+bhp.And not with the aid of some valves/solinoids and a bottle of gas for a few seconds.I wanted permanent power,so I had a full race spec turboed engine built for me.

I have seen people put NOS into 1.6 litre VTEC Civics and Mivec Colts and a particular black 1.6 litre 147 here in Ireland and 4-6 months later they are looking for 2nd hand or new engines because they have blown up the standard engine from using that NOS stuff.The black 147s cylinder head is wrecked and needs to be re conditioned thanks to a 50bhp NOS kit.The lad that owns it said to a mate of mine in the Alfa garage that he wished he never did the NOS thing now,as its costing him over 1100 euro to repair the car and get it moving again.

Are you telling me that you can keep a 50+bhp NOS kit on for 30 seconds to a minute or 2 or constantly open the NOS bottle on a bog standard 1.6 litre engine and the engine wont break after a while from NOS useage?That you would never blow a gasket or wreck the cylinder head or melt a piston?NOS on a bog standard engine is for a few short seconds at a time and thats it.

NOS is for tuned engines and track/drag race cars,not a normal everyday road going car.Thats the way I see it.At least with a supercharger,turbocharger or chip/cam kits you dont have to refill a bottle every few days or weeks in order to have a powerfull car.As I said money doesnt come into it where Im concerned.Thanks for trying to making that point though. ;) :lol:

Most road cars that do have a NOS kit here in Ireland also have cylinder head work and uprated head gaskets done too,so that the head can take the sudden extra presure and power that NOS provides.

Especially if you are looking at a 50-70 bhp kit on a standard 1.6 litre engine too.

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
I have nothing against NOS its or people who use them.

Its just that you should modify the engine if you are going to put in a NOS kit which suddenly causes a much bigger explosion inside the engine,therefore resulting in much more stress/strain on the engine and components themselves.

The same principle also goes for doing a super/turbocharger conversion on a normal engine.You have to modify the engine to cope with the extra bhp/torque spikes and extra pressures generated.

Good luck to anybody who does put it into their normal car,but you will end up with a much bigger and frequent service bill for your car.

That stupid Fast and Furious movie is crap too :rolleyes:.

NOS can only be used on a standard engine for a few short seconds at a time.Otherwize you will blow gaskets,melt pistons or spit a rod or 2.Thats a fact.Thanks :)

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
Daveg360 - I think you should go and put a 50-70bhp NOS kit in your car and test it out for us all here.Then you can report back after a few months and tell us what damage you have done to the normal engine.Like how much it cost you to have the blown head gasket replaced.But dont say I never warned you. ;)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Alfadublin said:
Money doesnt even come into it where Im concerned.I have plenty of it so I dont need to worry about that sort of thing.Remember,I "chose" to invest heavly in and build an engine capable of giving a "constsnt" 300+bhp.
.As I said money doesnt come into it where Im concerned.Thanks for trying to making that point though. ;) :lol:

i'm quoting you on this Alfadublin as i'm sure you posted originally explaining the reason for all the upgrades on your car were because the insurance costs were so high :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
GOLLUM said:
Alfadublin said:
Money doesnt even come into it where Im concerned.I have plenty of it so I dont need to worry about that sort of thing.Remember,I "chose" to invest heavly in and build an engine capable of giving a "constsnt" 300+bhp.
.As I said money doesnt come into it where Im concerned.Thanks for trying to making that point though. ;) :lol:

i'm quoting you on this Alfadublin as i'm sure you posted originally explaining the reason for all the upgrades on your car were because the insurance costs were so high :rolleyes:

What are you on about? :confused: .What are you quoting me over?

My insurance is higher than normal because I chose to tune/modify the car and I also chose to declare it to my insurance broker.

I chose to tune my engine so I also chose to pay and accepted the fact that I would have to pay a higher insurance premium in order to drive the car on the road. Unspecified/modified car insurance for my car.Fully insured and therefore legal to drive on the road. ;)

If you are refering to my previous replies in the past to people who asked why I didnt just buy a GTA,then I have explained that a load of times already.

In Ireland you have to have 5-6 years N.C.B and be 29-30 years of age to drive/fully insure a 3.2 litre GTA.Im 28 and have 4 years N.C.B.I have no problem spending 5000+ euro up front for fully comp and modified/unspecified car insurance.I chose to tune the car so I accepted the extra insurance costs involved.My choice.Thanks ;)

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
CREE - That brings up another point.

You "MUST" declare the NOS system to the insurance company/broker in order to drive with it installed in your car.If you dont then you are driving a car that is not covered and not insured.God help you if you hit somebody or are hit by somebody elses car.

If I was you,then I would ask your insurance broker/company if they will insure you with a NOS kit fited to the car.Alot of insurance companies/brokers will not cover NOS as it is dangerous and highly flamable/dangerous inside the car or in the boot.Check first before you even think of buying a NOS kit.Thanks ;) .

·
Registered
511 Posts
Adrian Flux - £80 a year extra for my nitrous (75hp max). AlfaD - please get back in your cage. You've ranted your way through 5 posts and not passed any accurate or useful information to the new member :( Please go and find a thread for someone asking about a turbo for a 147 and help them instead of spouting pub talk. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts