Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Getting my first Alfa on Wed (159ti) and I was reading somewhere that the front tyres take a bit of a bashing. I was taking the Mrs' beemer into ****-fit for tyres and I noticed that they are offering to fill your black cirlces with nitrogen. The leaflet claims increased fuel consumption and reduced tyre degredation...has anybody done this on their 159?.

Thanks

Chris:thumbs:

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
Filling with Nitrogen is just marketing waffle.

In high levels of motorsport (ie F1), pure Nitrogen is used because the tyre pressure rise with heat will always be a predictable known constant.
Normal air is mostly Nitrogen anyway, but contains varying levels of moisture. So the pressure rise with heat isn't as precisely predictable.
But that makes absolutely no difference at all on the road.

For your new 159Ti, make sure the front tracking is set to 0mm toe (parallel) and make sure the tyre pressures are correct.
Many ship with massive toe-out on the front and that will always rip through the inner edges very quickly on any car.

D

·
0 Posts
Gimmick. It's all pseudo science, why not go for helium instead and lighten your car by half a gram?

As David C says, normal air is 80% nitrogen anyway.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you mean reduced fuel consumption? :confused:

Welcome! :thumbs:

Possibly a combination of that and increased fuel efficiancy!.

I knew that normal air was a mixture of nitrogen etc, but it's not gonna matter a jot what they are filled with if they are set to easty westy ;-)

Thanks folks!

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts