Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i pick up my refurbished 16" anthracite Speedlines tonight the place in Loughborough where I got my Toyo Proxes from (£64.50 take away) is doing tyre inflation with Nitrogen £2 a tyre. Anyone tried this, it sound good...

·
Registered
257 Posts
whats wrong with a foot pump & checking them every now & again? :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eeerm, why Nitrogen??? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Footpump works for me and its cheaper :D

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read up on it now, apparently its used in F1 and all aircraft tyres. Your tyres loose pressure at much lower rate (oxygen escapes through the rubber) the pressures stay more constant regardless of the temperature.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
£25 each +£5 each for fitting tyres back on they've done a v.good job they shine more than they ever did, the colour is slightly lighter (i think, but they look bigger now wink !) Belmont Metal Finishings 01664888482 near Old Dalby between Nottingham and Melton Mowbray. They're the guys who painted my cam cover. :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Doesn't the nitrogen (I thought it was helium to be honest) affect the temperature of the tyre too ? In that it keeps the rubber cooler than inflating with regular air when the tyre is being used.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bealzbob

Helium is explosive, that's what was in the Hindenburg !!!!

Could be a good effect when doing burnouts though !!!

Marlon

·
Registered
632 Posts
Oh jeeezus, corny award of the day goes to the wrinkly one. I'd say "keep it up" but I wouldn't mean it wrinx wink

·
Registered
632 Posts
why dont we make that your homework for tonight :p You can tell us all tomorrow how you got on :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think the hindenberg was filled with hydrogen???
thats why it went bang.
isn't helium the gas that makes your voise go funny when you breath it in?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
thats just what i was going to say it was hydrogen..hellium is what they now use in air ships.

·
Registered
632 Posts
RichardA:
isn't helium the gas that makes your voise go funny when you breath it in?
Bealzbob:
Come on I think we've all sucked helium out of balloons at a party and promptly sang the odd tune or seven (haven't we ?
)
HELL YEAH :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
So could you us helium to reduce the unsprung weight of the wheel??? Is this possible

·
Registered
632 Posts
Toad:
So could you us helium to reduce the unsprung weight of the wheel??? Is this possible
I'd say it would be very very marginal :) How many balloons to lift a baby into the air ? :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As an aircraft technician, I concur, nitrogen in the tyres keeps them at a constant pressure, regardless of the tyre temp. (saves the aircraft having blowouts as the wheels go from 0mph, to 150mph!)This again is something to do with the leakage rate, and the way that nitrogen, as an inert gas, reacts to heat.
Hope this helps clear things up!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts