Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to get another set of tyres and the supplier wants to inflate the tyres with nitrogen.This is supposed to improve tyre life. Anybody share some thoughts/experiences????

·
Registered
222 Posts
Load of cobblers, most of the air we breathe is made of nitrogen so a large percentage of the air in the tyre is nitrogen to.

·
AO Silver Member, Classic Alfas Lounge Winner 09
1,315 Posts
Sure he didn't mean "hydrogen"? That should lighten the car and improve tyre wear. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
Yep for road use it is a complete waste on money.
The only reason to use it in for racing so that the rate of expansion with heat is always a known constant. Because normal air has a varying amount of moisture the variation in resultant pressure change as the tyre heats up is too much for top racing.

On the road you are not going to notice any difference and as soon as you check and top-up your tyres it will effectively become normal air anyway.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
David C said:
Yep for road use it is a complete waste on money.
The only reason to use it in for racing so that the rate of expansion with heat is always a known constant. Because normal air has a varying amount of moisture the variation in resultant pressure change as the tyre heats up is too much for top racing.

On the road you are not going to notice any difference and as soon as you check and top-up your tyres it will effectively become normal air anyway.
That's exactly right ! the only thing is the tyre dealer wants to make an extra buck/euro/pound !

·
Registered
326 Posts
Had nitrogen put in at last tyre change no extra cost & so far after 6 months have not had to top up but the tyre company said if it needs topping up then they do it for free.
The reason it stays at pressure apparantly is something to do with molecule size not being able to pass through the rubber of the tyre:confused:

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
because of the flap on about higher fuel prices in the states they are apparently putting nitrogen in their tires because some clever yanky doodle said you get better mpg :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: only in America

G

·
Plastic Pig said:
Sure he didn't mean "hydrogen"? That should lighten the car and improve tyre wear. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

'Think you mean helium!

Isn't using pure inert gases
just to get more predicatable
expansion rates. Fine for racing,
bit overkill for the average road user.

And surely the gas will diffuse out over time......

·
Registered
285 Posts
Spark said:
Had nitrogen put in at last tyre change no extra cost & so far after 6 months have not had to top up but the tyre company said if it needs topping up then they do it for free.
The reason it stays at pressure apparantly is something to do with molecule size not being able to pass through the rubber of the tyre:confused:
My dad had N2 in his car for a couple of years and that was the most noticeable effect. He almost never needed to top them up.

I had N2 put in my tyres because it was very cheap and I hope it'll give me a bit of more durability to the tyres, but I realise that by just not dropping the pressure it will help the tyres last a bit longer.

·
Registered
39,114 Posts
Helium molecules are small enough to permeate through the rubber, this is why baloons inflated with it slowly deflate, and is also why it is not used for tyres apart from cost. the main reason why Nitrogen is used in car tyres is that with air some of the molecules (oxygen) within it are small enough to pass through the rubber. With nitrogen they are larger and this affect is less. I know the air is 78% Nitrogen anyway but even if you lost 5% of the air in your tyres you would notice it. Then there is the fact that air contains moisture which causes it to expand/contrct more due to temperature.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have Nitrogen in all my vehicles have never had to top up the pressures, in fact it`s got to the stage I don`t even check them anymore ! it`s used in aircraft tyres as well as racing cars and bikes the tyre maintains it`s shape better and the bike certainly handles better, the garage will check and top up for free too, well worth a go in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Nitrogen doesn't seep through the rubber of the tyre, so you don't have to check your tyre pressures so much, or at all some claim. If they're doing it for no extra charge, let them go ahead IMHO. :)

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
You are defintely still supposed to check your pressures with Nitrogen.
Of course you are less likely to need to top up, but I read a number of industry articles that stated that it was critical that people still check their tyre pressures or use of Nitrogen would actually be dangerous (due to misuse).

Essentially the permeability of the tyre is only one aspect of pressure retention, the physical well being of other aspects of the tyre (valve, tyre wall etc) are also important, not noticing a slow puncture before a long trip could be dangerous causing the tyre to overheat and then blowout.

Cheers,
TB

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Its a bit of a stretch allright .. but the theory is that surveys have shown that people aren't checking their tyres regualrly enough with standard air anyway and many cars are underinflated by > 10%.

This increases rolling resistance and thus affects MPG.
This rolling resistance increase due to gradual loss of pressure doesn't occur in the case of No2 inflated tyres.

Of course it doesn't apply to regularly checked air inflated tyres either :)

jabberwocky said:
because of the flap on about higher fuel prices in the states they are apparently putting nitrogen in their tires because some clever yanky doodle said you get better mpg :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: only in America

G

·
jonwood79 said:
Nitrogen doesn't seep through the rubber of the tyre, so you don't have to check your tyre pressures so much, or at all some claim. If they're doing it for no extra charge, let them go ahead IMHO. :)
Nitrogen will diffuse through rubber, just at a slower rate.

Why pay for something that you can get for free at
any petrol station?

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Advantages....

1) More consistent tyre pressure as no water in the nitrogen used. Water causes tyre pressures to change unevenly from tyre to tyre and presumably damages carcass. (get water from air compressors that do not have adequate "dewatering" system or from your hand pump as water in air and the more humid the climate, the more waterin the air.)
2) Tyre pressures stay more consistent longer
3) Possible benifits due to less internal aging of tyre carcasss(ie Much less oxygen to react with internal carcass of tyre)

Disavantages
1) Costs money for most of us to put it in to start with.
2) Have to go to tyre shop to refill. Not a big problem but have to go out of your way.

·
Registered
460 Posts
AMG likes using Nitrogen it for its beefed up taxis... so do Nascar cars and airlines... if your Alfa flies, go for it! ;)
Agree with Stori's bullets. I think it's actually a good idea and would do it myself if only I knew where the dude with the Nitrogen tank is... ;)
BMW wheels on the other hand have been especially designed for C3H5N3O9 (nitroglycerin...) :D

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
If its free, go for it.

Its not really much help on the road, 'ordinary' nitrogen is no good, its got to be OFN (oxygen free Nitrogen) as its the moisture in air that causes the pressures to vary with temperature.

You will of course need to top up with nitrogen to see the 'benefit' - of which there is none on the road at legal speeds.

The thing most guys forget is that the tyre is already full of air at atmospheric pressure before being pressurised with nitrogen ( and probably had its bead set with air too) so its never full of nitrogen anyway, it always has some air.

If its free --why not
If you need to pay - - spend the money on beer instead.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts