Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just come across this page

http://www.merityre.co.uk/why_nitrogen.htm

are they being serious?

How can having your tyres full of nitrogen make any difference?
Surely the normal air that is compressed and pumped into tyres is 70% nitrogen anyway(may be wrong as have not been to school for a while).

r :lol:

·
Premium Member
38,311 Posts
Yup, the pressure doesn't change when the tires get hot, AFAIK...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can't see that it would make a noticable difference on a road car. At work the aircraft tyres are nitrogen filled, that is ASAIK more of a safety issue as opposed to a performance one (High temperatures - No pressure changes - Not a combustible gas)

·
Registered
668 Posts
The reason for using nitrogen is to avoid the tyre blowing out. The Oxygen content in the tyre, however small it may be, poses the problem that if the tyre gets too hot, it will expand or in extreme cases maybe ignite. Even if it doesn't ignite, if you have your tyres inflated to the max safe pressure for the tyre, the expanding air in the tyre will cause the tyre to over-inflate and maybe blowout or at least cause the tyre to wear out quicker than normal.
As Jamie says, all forms of motor racing nowadays uses Nitrogen in the tyres on safety grounds and for a more consistant tyre pressure during races. I'm sure for many people here that drive their cars at high speeds the last thing they want is their tyres giving them any problems when going around a bend at a 100mph.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Actually one of the main reasons in race cars is water vapour which is an uncontrollable unknown.
Many racers in junior classes such as Formula V use "dry" air and not nitrogen.

For a road car the main advantage is the fact that nitrogen does not "leak" from the tyre at any significant rate. This means your tyre stays pressurised at correct pressure.
Result tyre lasts longer and it is safer especially when you consider how many people actually check their tyre presures very 1 to 2 weeks as required.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PMackey said:
poses the problem that if the tyre gets too hot, it will expand or in extreme cases maybe ignite.... I'm sure for many people here that drive their cars at high speeds the last thing they want is their tyres giving them any problems when going around a bend at a 100mph.
A load of Ballbag, when was the last time you saw a tyre combust!!! :cheese: Although the theory behind it is true it has no real relevence unless you compete in the highest echelons of motorsport such as F1- GT Championships, but they have money to pour down the drain! Purely a sales gimic for the road... who can seriously claim that they can generate real heat in the tyres of their road car to warrant having it to prevent pressure increases... i mean real hot to touch heat not feeling a bit warm as that will not make any real difference to tyre pressures . Anyway if you guys drive seriously on the road then i guess you check your tyre pressures every week anyway so deflation is not really an issue! Is this a reasonable opinion?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Stori said:
For a road car the main advantage is the fact that nitrogen does not "leak" from the tyre at any significant rate. This means your tyre stays pressurised at correct pressure.
Result tyre lasts longer and it is safer especially when you consider how many people actually check their tyre presures very 1 to 2 weeks as required.
Is that true, every few weeks I have to re-inflate my tyre due to leakage, doesn't seem to want to hold more than 31psi for a long period and you can feel it in the handling when its goes down, if Nitorgen stays it it might be worth doing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Antonio Chico said:
Yup, the pressure doesn't change when the tires get hot, AFAIK...
At the risk of being called a nerd...

The leak issue maybe true, but the pressure will still change with temperature - unless the laws of physics have changed in the last 10 years.
PV=nRT
Which means that pressure times volume is proportional to temperature (for gases). If the temperature goes up the pressure and/or the volume must go up. ;)

·
Premium Member
38,311 Posts
I was in a hurry, I should have added "as much". :D

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
By-the-way Reuven has used Nitrogen for a quite while so he is the man to ask re the advantages of Nitogen in a Road tyre. Reuven seems very happy with Nitogen and definitely claims that tyres do not go down.........unless you have a puncture of course! :D

Sandys as Toad said above you have a naoil or the like in your tubless tyre and needs to be repaired .
Normally only about 1/2 psi is lost in about 2 weeks on my car tyres

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Nerdy reason to use Nitrogen over a standard air mix...
Oxygen's atom has a radius of 0.6 angstroms, and a diameter of 1.2 ang.
Nitrogen is slightly bigger than Oxygen, weighing in with a radius of 0.75 ang, and a diameter of 1.5 ang.

Hence, according to the experts, oxygen which makes up 21%, will escape faster than Nitrogen.

...Apparently... :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts