Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all filled my tyres up with Nitrogen couple months ago was charged £1 per tyre with free refills .Just checked them, at the same pressure no loss at all ,not noticed any increase in MPG as claimed 4 new Uniroyal Rainsport 2 fitted just before putting the Nitrogen in brilliant tyres by the way any one else done this if so your thoughts

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
Hi all filled my tyres up with Nitrogen couple months ago was charged £1 per tyre with free refills .Just checked them, at the same pressure no loss at all...
When properly sealed, air doesn't leak out either.

No point at all paying for Nitrogen in a road car.

Can't see how they can claim you'd get better MPG either... :lol:

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
G

·
Why?
I know the true reasons for using Nitrogen and they are totally irrelevant on a road car.
That's the conclusion Tiffany Dell came to as well. I use air because that's what comes out of my compressor.

If only the oxygen leaks out, the every time you add air the proportion of oxygen gets smaller anyway. 25% of air is oxygen. When it leaks out, you replace it with air which is 70% nitrogen. Eventually you would reach a point where the ozygen content was negligible. That is, of course, if it wasn't ********.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Nitrogen being inert doesnt expand or contract like oxygen and therefore stays at the same pressure at standstill or battering a track. Thought about it on mine at work as we installed the airline, figured tapping the n2 was just as easy! :) never got round to it though.:(

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
Nitrogen being inert doesn't expand or contract like oxygen and therefore stays at the same pressure at standstill or battering a track.
No.
The reason for using it is that it always expands at the same rate, so the pressure rise for a given increase in temperature is always the same no matter where you are.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Nitrogen is just a gimmick for road cars! But let's face it there are plenty of gimmicks to spend your money on........ If it makes you happy.... carry on:)

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I had Nitrogen in the tyres of my previous car, over 12.5K miles the pressure hardly altered and the tyre wear was even across all four tyres (but this could have been the same with just ordinary air!)
If it came with the trye fitting then fine but I wouldn't pay extra for it :(

G

·
total, total waste of time and money (not to mention bordering trades description issues) using the "nitrogen" in car tyres.

i use the "..." because it's not really nitrogen that goes in, just nitrogen rich air which has been processed a couple of times (if your lucky and the operator can be bothered) to dilute the unwanted properties from natural air.

the place i used to work at sold it, and a good customer who works for the RAF on the typhoon maintenance explained the HUGE difference between genuine nitrogen and the stuff the the machine can process.

don't make the mistake of comparing what these machines can create and what goes into 'plane tyres or F1 tyres for that matter, simply not in the same ball park.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Probably is a waste of time I agree, however, have a lease van which had all 4 tyres replaced at 26k early last year and filled with nitrogen, and replaced again at 64k so thats a year and 38k, and I never once checked the tyre pressure until the day before I took it in to get them done and all were reading around the 58 psi mark, could just be luck I don't know.

I do check my car tyres more frequently btw.
Still wouldn't pay for it though!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've run my GT with Nitrogen on the tyres, i can honestly say that the only diffrence i noticed what the tyre temprature was a bit lower and didnt lose air so quickly as normal air.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts