Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tyres....

Reports of nitrogen filling having all kinds of benefits, but primarily to me is the MPG improvement of 5% or so as we drive 50k miles a year. So could be worthwhile even if 2%.

I know nitrogen is more stable heat wise and you won't get fluctuations in pressures as they warm up. Our race car can gain about 8% pressure on a 35 second sprint, so an hour or two at 70mph would have an effect.

Another quoted benefit is better wear, which if pressures are more consistent, it would make sense.

Worth doing or snake oil?

There, I've done it, opened the worm can. Now discuss! :eek:)

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
The pressures WILL still rise with heat. The difference is that it will always rise at the same rate.
That is very relevant when a fraction of a mm difference in ride height at 200mph around Monza is important, however on a road car it is just snake oil.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Has anyone tried putting acetylene in their tyres?

I've got loads of it going spare at work and thought it might be worth a go?

:lol:

·
Registered
30,262 Posts
There are some genuine uses of pure Nitrogen in tyres outside motor-sport, notably in aircraft tyres where Nitrogen's properties of not supporting combustion are very relevant should a tyre fail.

But for a road car I still say snake oil.

G

·
As a VOSA employee... Watch this space... It has been discussed.
Why do you think garage forecourt's are charging motorist for the use of current air machines and increasing the cost to do so?
If the average idiot can't be bothered to actually check their tyre pressures on a regular basis, the Government will take that responsibility from them and charge them for the privelage when they have to...
Sound familiar?;)

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I had nitrogen in the previous car from nearly new (1 week old) and after two years and 12K miles there was never any significant pressure loss and the tyre wear was pretty even all the way across.
In the GT over the same sort of time period and mileage without nitrogen the tyre pressure has had to be topped up several times and the wear has therefore been less even.
I could have been lucky with the previous car and unlucky with the GT but I'll never know for sure.

Maybe a trail with one side of a car with nitrogen and one side without and then monitored for two years or more would better answer your question but until then if it's available for free have it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts