Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anyone with experience and/or opinions on what to go for?
Nitrac cost a little more as i can see but its basicly the same..

Nitrac = Grooved & Drilled
Tarox = SJ Drilled and Slotted

basicly same design, but the question is which brand is better, more known for quality?

if im going for tarox than i will be ordering from gazzella and also get a kit of Tarox brake pads rally plus 401 and rear with tarox strada.

if i get nitrac than i will basicly go with the same pads but, acording to nitrac they recomend EBC green stuff and after a few threads on the forum i wont even ask for a price on thoose ebc pads :p

so basicly im just looking for opinions since the price is the same (discs)

EDIT:
its for a 156 GTA ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i know i wont buy the pads nitrac mention..il stick with the tarox ones i think.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm, no pointers or opinions regarding the discs?
i havent decided yet.

Tar-ox JS discs front&rear £358
Nitrac £310

as you can see the price difference isnt that big its just that im not sure which one is better, thats why im asking for opinions.

only reason i would go for the tar-ox is because gazzella have other things that im interested in and Nitrac have them both in black and silver :S

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd like to answer your query re NITRAC brake discs, although I have to declare an interest up-front because I am a Director of the company. If you are considering the difference between NITRAC and ony other brand of discs on the UK market, you need to do some research on a process called Deep Cryogenic Treatment (or DCT for short). Try Googling "Cryogenic Treatment" or "Cryogenic Tempering". You will find loads of hits from US Cryogenic Treatment companies, although very few in the UK. If you hunt around a bit further you will find various independent research papers which investigate the effects of Cryogenic treatment. In essence the process improves the microstructure of the metal itself, and when used on cast iron brake discs you get a component with much greater torsional strength, abrasion resistance and resistance to scoring, warping, cracking, and to a lesser extent rusting. The point of course, is that all NITRAC discs are cryo treated and they are the only cryo treated discs you can get in the UK. icannot emphasise strongly enough THAT THIS IS NOT JUST MORE ADVERTISING TECHNO-BABBLE TO TRY AND MAKE IT SOUND GOOD. IT IS A REAL PROCESS WITH REAL BENEFITS. Have a look at http://www.frozenrotors.com/pages/racetrack_proven.php
to see some track comparisons carried out by one of our American counterparts. We do not yet have our own tests we can publish, but we are working on it!
After all this you can draw your own conclusions regarding NITRAC and Tar-Ox or anything else you can find.

Alan

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Cryo treatment is a modern advancement from the process originated 30 years ago and has two basic methods I wont bore people with here....

But If the discs are Cryo treated it means they will last longer be less prone to damage and wear making it effectivly stronger - however it won't change its Rockwell hardness..

Cryo Treatment gets a big thumbs up...:thumbs:

Chris

·
Registered
108 Posts
When I saw the range of Nitrac, it reminds me of National brake disc range which I have seen some years ago. Are they related?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I am looking for some 305mm discs as my red-dot ones are warped. I am curious about getting some discs that will be less prone to warping and have considered nitrac. Does anyone have any 305mm discs on their car. Some real life feedback on longevity would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts