Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone seen one of these? I have great respect for the man, but this is plain ugly! (and the rear! The bumper sticks out 2 feet...I am not kidding!) Campagnolos are nice though!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Another try by 'Mercan marketing to boost sales. Like you, I think its plain ugly and doesn't compliment the car at all, only the sales if they ever did sell one.
Will be getting my Gotti wheels with new tyres soon. Can't wait.
I've made a radio cache in mahogony with the Pininfarina badge from the side of the car - looks nice.
Still got to fit the wooden GTV wheel and gear knob when I have a chance and then thats it finished.
Work has finally picked up here:)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Left your "irony pills" at the office , matey ?;)

Nikki Lauda , an icon , who arose from a life-threatening incident and came back fighting , advertising a company that....er...um..

Not to labour the point , of the 2 main characters in the ad , which is the one whose acheivments outweigh its ,um , "individual" looks ?:lol:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ha! Niki Lauda plugging an Alfa when he subsequently went on to say that the worst part of that Brabham Alfa was...

The Alfa engine.

At the time his road cars were an Alfetta GT and an Alfasud Estate for Mrs L. Which must've been a comedown after whatever he'd been driving at Ferrari. Still, Bernie Ecclestone did pay him an aweful lot of money!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Well, if you don't know (which you surely do) the Lauda Spider was only marketed in the US, hence the stickers and ugly bumpers.
If I remember right, it was an entry level model without the normal luxury dingies.
Erik

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Well it looks ugly now but at the time it was probably the hottest car you could get. I wonder if it has retained any special value at all as special collectors edition or do they just take off the stickers anyway :lol:

·
Administrator
60,119 Posts
I don't believe it is worth any more than a normal Spider. There was one for sale on the alfabb and most people said it was ugly with it's stickers.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Sorry AlfaPud, what I meant is that he hated his Brabham so much that he had to get his kicks from somewhere. Apparently his F1 car wouldn't drive the way he wanted!!!
I love both the Alfetta and the Suds. Great engines. Unfortunately there were few and far between here in Switzerland so finding one is almost impossible.
I love that flat four engine. It just pulls and pulls and sounds great too along with the handling etc. Its funny how only Subaru seem to have caught on and produce them also. In my opinion its a much better configuration for a 4 cylinder only its marginally more expensive to produce hence... 'Damn computers and cost saving'. I'd much prefer less gimmickery, the marketing people think sells cars, and a better engine.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I love that flat four engine. It just pulls and pulls and sounds great too along with the handling etc. Its funny how only Subaru seem to have caught on and produce them also.
Well VW gave it a go for a little while and Porsche have continued with it in 6 cylinder form.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I owned (and loved) a great many Alfasuds in my youth. Recently I sat in one and couldn't believe how cr*ppy the interior was. Sure, they were a great drive but I can still remember the little "foibles" that all mine had-

1. Interior door handles broke off.

2. Locks seized.

3. Wipers had two speeds, slow and dead slow.

4. On a dark wet night you could stop the wipers by switching on the heated rear window.

5. Demister fan that produced less output than an old age pensioner.

6. Second gear synchro death (what is it about Alfas and 2nd gear?)

7. Rust

8. Ever tried to change a water pump with the engine in the car?

9. Or the handbrake cable?

10. Curly inner door panels.

11 Ti doors that were too heaviy for the tiny little hinges.

12. Bootlid hinges that seized solid.

13. Lower suspension arms that broke clean off.

Lovely car to drive, terrible to own.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I owned (and loved) a great many Alfasuds in my youth. Recently I sat in one and couldn't believe how cr*ppy the interior was. Sure, they were a great drive but I can still remember the little "foibles" that all mine had-

1. Interior door handles broke off.

2. Locks seized.

3. Wipers had two speeds, slow and dead slow.

4. On a dark wet night you could stop the wipers by switching on the heated rear window.

5. Demister fan that produced less output than an old age pensioner.

6. Second gear synchro death (what is it about Alfas and 2nd gear?)

7. Rust

8. Ever tried to change a water pump with the engine in the car?

9. Or the handbrake cable?

10. Curly inner door panels.

11 Ti doors that were too heaviy for the tiny little hinges.

12. Bootlid hinges that seized solid.

13. Lower suspension arms that broke clean off.

Lovely car to drive, terrible to own.
Yea similar problems with my Alfasud sprint too. Defintely the WORST car I ever owned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts