Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It feels like I am asking many questions at the moment. I have to replace the engine end Constant Velocity Boots due to MOT fail. On the drivers side, I have removed the axle from the engine end and am wondering how to remove the boot and the bit that connects to the engine so I can get the new boot on....it looks like it overlaps a clamp of some kind but don't know how to get it off....any advice?

On the passenger side, one of the bolts have been damaged so that a alan key just spins around...any advice on how to get this off?

...I am sure the Alfa manual assumes that all bolts and stuff come of trivially...not the case on a 14 year old spider!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
From my experience changing the CV boot on my car, i remove the whole drive shaft, the way you describe it are you trying to do it leaving one end of the drive shaft connected? The best way is to remove the hub nut and slide the whole drive shaft out then you can replace both boots it's pointless just doing the one, I am pretty sure if you do a search on here there is a step by step guide, if you are having a problem getting one of the allen headed screws out you may have to get a decent pair of mole grips on to get it undone, it sounds like some one has used the wrong size allen key or not made sure that they key was all the way home in the bolt head so they have rounded the inside off.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers TOPKIT, I am trying my best not to take the full axle off as on one side, the ABS sensor's bolt has sheered off (but stuck on pretty well) and I don't fancy trying to remove the other ABS sensor. I have took the engine side part off now and more problems. I have taken off the rubber boot and boot shell but cant get the other side off where I believe there is a clip which allows the think to slide off.

I have also spotted some damage inside the velocity joint....should I get a new joint?

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
to avoid disconnecting ABS wiring at the hub end it's pretty easy to strip it back to a large bannana type plug near the top of suspension strut.
In pic two, you need to knock that lump off the end of the drive shaft splines. it takes a clonk with a good heavy hammer, you will have just the end of the splined shaft left .

·
Registered
12 Posts
you can buy cvb boots whithout taking off the shaft

It feels like I am asking many questions at the moment. I have to replace the engine end Constant Velocity Boots due to MOT fail. On the drivers side, I have removed the axle from the engine end and am wondering how to remove the boot and the bit that connects to the engine so I can get the new boot on....it looks like it overlaps a clamp of some kind but don't know how to get it off....any advice?

On the passenger side, one of the bolts have been damaged so that a alan key just spins around...any advice on how to get this off?

...I am sure the Alfa manual assumes that all bolts and stuff come of trivially...not the case on a 14 year old spider!!
cvb boots they lock together with glue clips supplied

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. Before I try and get the end off (forcefully?) I have been trying to get a new cv joint with the Cap (to replace my damaged one) I can see plenty for a 2.0 TS GTV but none for the spider.....are the two the same or are there differences between the GTV and Spider CV joints?

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you are taking the CV joint off the outboard end then you can replace both boots from that end (without having to remove the inboard CV joint) In pic 2 the new inner CV boot will come with the rubber boot and the metal tin housing (middle bit in your pic) you can get all these from any good motor factors, including the CV joint.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, its the tin Cap that I need to replace as it looks damaged (pic 1) which is the far right tin pic of Pic 2. Pic 2 I have removed from the engine side.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OK, I am about to do something and I want to make sure it is safe to do. The metal cap you see on picture 1 is shot and I don't want to put it on my new CV Joint jit which doesn't come with the end tin cap. am I OK sticking a gasket on the CV joint and screwing it to the transmission side (Picture 3) with the grease....I can't find anyone who sells the tin cap to go on the end of the CV joint!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just thought I would update on this...I have sorted this now. In picture 1 above, the funny item trying to pop out was part of the CV bearing which had shattered and was pushed into the tin cap so I had to buy two CV joints (may as well replace both). The tin cap is there to hold in the grease so I straightened out as much as I could and put back on with the hole. It got pushed up fairly tight against the transmission end cup, I put a gasket around it so hopefully the grease will stay put. Those rubber boots need to be put in hot water to get flexible and put on with a cone...I tried to do it without the cone and it was impossible.

Probably one of the most greasy dirty jobs I have done....that grease gets everywhere...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts