Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the exciter wire is the culprit for my car not starting it is not producing 12 volts on cranking doh has anyone else had this problem arrrrrrrrggggh

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
4.00am looking for reasons why the exciter wire is not producing 12 volts is this normal behavior lol checked every relay lying on my back under the steering wheel with feet up the back window, keeping an eye on the door for the men in the white coats

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
the exciter wire is the culprit for my car not starting it is not producing 12 volts on cranking doh has anyone else had this problem arrrrrrrrggggh
Hi,

What year/phase is your car? Could it be a 'dirty' earth between the engine/gearbox to the car? If the exciter/solenoid wire is not producing any voltage at all then according to the workshop manual there is a 30A fuse between the battery and ignition switch. But where its located is anybody's guess.

I believe that the 'branch' terminal board (G56), they speak of is in the attached diagrams, are either located below the water tank on the inner wing or there is a load of fuses attached on the offside suspension turret.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
found the problem for the lack of 12v to the exciter wire it was a connecter that wasńt connecting but now its sporadic if i disconnect the battery overnight the connect it will start but then it wont start 5 mins later any hints on immobiliser faults oh and thank you all for helping

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The Immobiliser (CODE), does not cut power to the starter, it will only cut power to the engine management system (Fuel, Ignition...). When you try to start the car, can you hear the starter solenoid click, could it be a sticky solenoid.

Try this procedure as well, it may help - ECU Reset.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi stixy there is no click when it happens the red light on the dash goes out when i disarm but then comes on when try to crank also i have noticed froth on the water bottle not oily just like the haed on a pint mmmmmmmmm pint!!!!.. only comes when revved

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I would slave in a cable from back of the ignition switch, see diagram attached to previous post, down to the start solenoid, give it a start and let car warm up, turn off, and restart.

The frothy water doesn't sound too good. Do you know if the car has overheated, because I think what is happening is that the engine may be nipping up when car is warm thus preventing the starter from spinning the engine. As you say this car doesn't start when it's warm, only starts when cold.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts