Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not my car

General question to anyone. I have owned my 2001 3-litre V6 24v Spider for eight and a half years now. I never realised that the GTV version had a 5-speed box whereas my Spider has a six. Was this always the case?

(Would like to see that car go for more than £2K+)

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
General question to anyone. I have owned my 2001 3-litre V6 24v Spider for eight and a half years now. I never realised that the GTV version had a 5-speed box whereas my Spider has a six. Was this always the case?

Not sure if at the transition point, 5/6 speed was an option. However, my December '98 is a five speeder. Ratios and engine performance is delightful. Suspect a sixth would be more like an overdrive but that would be no bad thing. I was told the Q2 diff could not be fitted to the five speeder. So mine stock!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not sure if at the transition point, 5/6 speed was an option. However, my December '98 is a five speeder. Ratios and engine performance is delightful. Suspect a sixth would be more like an overdrive but that would be no bad thing. I was told the Q2 diff could not be fitted to the five speeder. So mine stock!
Must be a text mistake in the advert. It's a CF2 car as it has the electronic throttle (and interior) and should be a 6 speeder, unless it had a gearbox replacement? 6 speeds had re-aligned ratios, so not an overdrive (you're right if this was an E46 BMW 325/330 though, but luckily it's not!).

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I bet you also didn’t know the 3.0l Spider prior to 2001/CF3 had the 3.0l 12v engine, both Phase 1 and 2, the 12v version spider was not officially imported into the UK 😉

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, agree don't think you could get a 5 speed with a V6 in 2001.
Bit of a stretch to call this in superb condition; lots of stone chips on the front and its missing some parts: front tweeter and front bank cover. MOT history has a lot of advisories suggesting there is quite some work to be done underneath if all those have not been sorted. Suspect its too much to sort out for an outright sale hence why its going on auction, but possibly a project car for someone to do up if it can be bought at the right price.

·
Registered
GTV, '96, 2.0V6 TB
305 Posts
...... I was told the Q2 diff could not be fitted to the five speeder. So mine stock!
You were told incorrectly. I fitted a Q2 to my '96 GTV five speed this year without issue. The only slightly awkward (i.e. not hard, just fiddly) thing to do is modify the plastic speedometer drive gear to fit the Q2.

Reactions: sizewell

·
Registered
124 Posts
The six-speed gearbox is so brilliant that I, generally, only use second, fourth and sixth. Why keep changing gear when the car doesn't need it?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
The six-speed gearbox is so brilliant that I, generally, only use second, fourth and sixth. Why keep changing gear when the car doesn't need it?
Alfa's have traditionally had very low ratio first gear. From history - information I was given some fifty+ years ago, it was because mechanical oil pumps were not that good at low revs. Alfa's - particularly the alloy twin cams are derived from performance/racing. I always say; with an Alfa in first gear, one can tow a caravan up Everest.

Anyway, we all know it is too low, but the significance is to get oil pressure up to protect bearings; avoid overloading the crankshaft bearings with high loads at low revs, before pressure is sufficient to protect them. It is never a good idea to pull away in second, despite the engine's ability to do so comfortably. The same goes for the Busso V6 and the GM derived 3.2 JTS engine.

·
Registered
846 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
There was also a black phase 1 that ended recently on ebay for £2950 (bidding, reserve not met). A few interesting mods - Q2, Blackline wheels, stainless exhaust.

It reappeared on Facebook a day or two later for £6500 with the promise that the belts would be changed. Is this how used car sales work now?

I'm on the lookout for a decent GTV and this one is very close to me and is a really nice spec. I'm almost tempted to make contact, but the price... am I alone in thinking that £9k is a lot of money for a 1998 car with standard diff, suspension and clutch/flywheel, and in need of four new coil springs, a cambelt service, a new brake pipe... broken interior trim piece and cracked windscreen too...?

·
Registered
846 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Prices have increased a little since I last owned a GTV V6 but even so... there's one or two other little issues with that car too, and although low mileage (78k) works in its favour, I can't help but think it's overpriced. It's low-end GTV cup territory. I wouldn't want to risk insulting the owner with what I feel is a reasonable offer either, so I guess I'll sit and wait...

·
Registered
173 Posts
That's what I was thinking. Prices have increased a little since I last owned a GTV V6 but even so... there's one or two other little issues with that car too, and although low mileage (78k) works in its favour, I can't help but think it's overpriced. It's low-end GTV cup territory. I wouldn't want to risk insulting the owner with what I feel is a reasonable offer either, so I guess I'll sit and wait...
And to prove your point, here’s a lower mileage Cup that’s in good condition with an honest owner, just a pity it’s Devon where it’s located >> Autotrader

·
Registered
846 Posts
Exactly - if I were in the market for a Cup I'd struggle to knock anything off that asking price, it looks a very nice example. I've always known there to be a premium of at least £2-3k between a good GTV V6 and a Cup.

Reactions: Mountain goat

·
Registered
173 Posts
Now (immediately) back up for sale for £7k, seemingly using the same pictures:

It's a £4k car with about £3k of work needed :LOL: It sold for the right price first time. Probably the fastest way today to throw £3k in the bin if you paid £7k for it. The seller should just sell it on for what they paid for it, and let someone make it into a £7-8k car...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts