Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if its common knowledge or a common spec but I found a niffty hidden feature in the Spider the other day, I had need to slam the brakes on hard from 80 down to stop on the motorway and the hazzards came on by themselves and flashed at double speed warning the bloke behind, good job too as I didnt have time to hit them myself.
Nice and a great safety feature.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Yes I've had it a few times on the motorway, all with sudden anchoring-on.
I hope not to have it again for a long, long time!

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
My wife assumed it was a loose wire or something. She took it back to the garage and asked why the hazards kept coming on. She's a brake late and hard sort of girl.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
The feature is only on post 2008 cars.

Also triggers on aggressive emergency steering manoeuvres.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
True. It is Phase 2 standard feature.
I think it comes from old school drivers behaviour to switch emergency lights by hand on with hard braking.
It is automatic now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
True. It is Phase 2 standard feature.
I think it comes from old school drivers behaviour to switch emergency lights by hand on with hard braking.
It is automatic now.
Also, safely try a high speed emergency stop, slam brakes on, after a second or so take foot off brake and see what happens, crazy system that I do no like !!:blah:

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Also, safely try a high speed emergency stop, slam brakes on, after a second or so take foot off brake and see what happens, crazy system that I do no like !!:blah:
I'll be giving that one a miss unless forced to do so.
No need to think about taking foot off brake in an emergency, ABS will kick in.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My wife's Volvo is fitted with it. Ok feature I guess. Managed to set it off once so far. I wonder if the car keeps a log of the number of times it's gone off? Something for insurance companies ,car rental companies and lease hire firms to look at?
My 911 has a feature in its memory that records max revs/ over revs on the engine. Dealers make a big thing of that.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think its a great feature, rather give the bloke behind a good warning than have him stuck up my arse, mind you I am one of those old school drivers and yes hitting the hazard button in an emergency stop should be a given, look at motorway pile ups ffs, if you're travelling fast and the cars in front have stopped you want all the warnings in the world.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
true, but if I'm driving hard there's nobody stuck up my arse anyway....
How exactly do you intend to be 'driving hard' whilst simultaneously trying to bring the car to a standstill as quickly as possible? :confused:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How exactly do you intend to be 'driving hard' whilst simultaneously trying to bring the car to a standstill as quickly as possible? :confused:
Yep, thats the motorway pile up waiting to happen, a bank of flashing hazzard lights just might stop the spirited drive before a whole load of people get injured or killed.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
5,969 Posts
I know what he means, I have them come on sometimes on a fast approach to a roundabout. The Brera Prodrive Brembos (even as standard) will pull the car sharply, you get used to that and leave the braking a bit later, but then it can trigger the flashers. Everything is safe and under control.

PS, come to think about it, rereading the OP, mine come on and there is no slamming the brakes on, no dramas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts