Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled up to fill her up for the first time and had to drive off as i couldn't find the button to release the fuel door/flap.

I had a quick look online when sat there trying to style it out but only found links to people saying there was a button by the gearstick, my button there locks all the doors.

Again (like my heater) am i missing something basic?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
If you lock the car while filling up the locking solenoid will activate and stop you opening the flap.

There is no button to open the flap, as above, push it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A thanks gents, I did get out of the car and give it a little push, I then thought that it was too simple so i went back inside the cabin. I must not have used enough force :jester:

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I have to admit, one of the first things I do when I get a new car is tackle the filling cap conundrum.

Find out which side it's on, button operated, key lock etc.

It's very embarrassing having to get back in the car, I've helped many a person on the forecourt with such issues.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I have to admit, one of the first things I do when I get a new car is tackle the filling cap conundrum.

Find out which side it's on, button operated, key lock etc.
My SW is push in on the right side - there's a dimple on the cover, simple!

Did you realise that you can tell which side the filler cap is from the drivers seat on any car? It's not a trick with mirrors but if you look at the fuel gauge there's a logo on it that looks like a fuel pump and the side that the hose is on tells you the side the filler cap is on. Good huh?

Guy

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
My SW is push in on the right side - there's a dimple on the cover, simple!

Did you realise that you can tell which side the filler cap is from the drivers seat on any car? It's not a trick with mirrors but if you look at the fuel gauge there's a logo on it that looks like a fuel pump and the side that the hose is on tells you the side the filler cap is on. Good huh?

Guy
Not on my car, the fuel hose is on the right side of the pump symbol and an arrow is on the left side pointing to where the filler cap is.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My fuel cap embarrassment went the opposite direction: it was easy to get in. Too easy. I figured anyone could steal my petrol. So, I went shopping for lockable fuel caps. It took me too long to figure out that the fuel cap locked when the car was locked.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
A thanks gents, I did get out of the car and give it a little push, I then thought that it was too simple so i went back inside the cabin. I must not have used enough force :jester:
Without wishing to sound rude................

............I can't wait for the next one :biglaugh:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also had issues with my first 159. It was the cap that got me!
I filled it up today but I thought I was going to have another failed attempt with the cap, lol.

Whats the deal with it? I thought it was broken first of all. I managed to get it off in the end but i dont know what the knack was, it was more luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Don't be too embarrassed. Mine got stuck entirely because the plastic loop that attaches the filler cap to the car somehow managed to jam the flap entirely, to the extent that pulling the red string inside the car to release it had no effect. In the end I chickened out of attacking it myself with a chisel and left it to my local garage to prise it open, fortunately with no ill effects! Phew! :yes:
Moral of the story, be careful when you put that filler cap on with the plastic stringy bit...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, in the spirit of camaraderie Taffy, i'll put my hand up and did somewhat the same thing.

I had my GTV at the time (with a button release) and expected the same. I had picked up a Brera for a test drive / inspection... got to the petrol station and after about 5 whole minutes i was just about ripping the carpet out trying to find what the trick was.

Must have looked like a right dork running around the car, arse out of the door hunting for a lever/switch/magic wand/secret compartment...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts