Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't meant to be disrespectful at all BUT.

Why does the media keep going on about death tolls in the wars we are currently engaging in? Solders die in war unfortuately but it does happen, I don't get it why make such a massive deal about it? Why bring on families and such to talk it over infront of the camera?

It just seems daft, I doubt this happend during either of the world wars. We build momuments and such which I agree with. But it's kind of like people don't expect to be killed or injured during warfare any more. I'm fed up of hearing a back story of a solder I've not heard of before who got hurt or killed.

It's not my bloody fault! And it's not going to make the government pull out of Iraq/Afganistan. I'm very sorry that your son/daughter got killed, but go away and grieve in peace. Stop pushing it in my face about how the war was "wrong and unjust" I know that, everyone knows that now. There's no point wallowing in it!

Stop trying to make me feel bad!

·
Registered
726 Posts
2 (at least) ways of looking at this.

1. It is a heathy thing in a democracy that the actions of the executive fall under constant scrutiny. There's really no reason why a war should be excluded from this.

2. 24-hour rolling news is a relatively new phenomenon. It is a hungry beast and needs to be fed continuously. Any new info will be maximised to fill as much of the schedule as necessary. The regular funeral processions at Wooton Basset (now Royal...) for all their poignancy and genuineness, are absolute media gold.

Both of these make it harder to pursue a long-trm military engagement ina democracy. In my own opinion, the sideshow in Iraq has sapped the public's willingness to pursue the war in Afghanistan, which (whether or not you feel it was justified) was at least begun for a non-fictional reason.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally I'm not that fussed that we entered Iraq/Afghanistan. We made some difference, maybe some things are worse, maybe others are better. But we still got rid of governments that caused problems for the rest of the world.

The only I problem I have is that it seems like solders aren't mean to die during conflict.

R

·
0 Posts
These soldiers that you dont really give a toss about are sent into war zones all over the world to serve their country, every one of them deserves a mention if they are killed as they are all heroes, perhaps we could get them out of those god forsaken holes ( Afghanistan, Iraq to name two ) and then we would not need a rolling death toll.

To all Servicemen and women serving this country I salute you all, god bless you :2:

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
I didn't know what to reply to this post, other than to say if you don't want to watch it, then turn the news off! One trooper from 2RTR died in Sellyoak hospital yesterday, and my thoughts go to his family and relatives, as I'm sure do the wishes of all the Royal Tank Regiments Association members.

I feel for the sadness of ALL those related to service personnel who have lost loved ones serving Queen and country, regardless of any views on whether or not we should be there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I understand. But it just seems like people don't except solders to be injured and like they're some sort of super heroes. They sign up to go to work and they pretty much sign up to go and be put in a situation where they are likely to be killed.

Ray, you just sound like a mindless patriot when you say stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I think it's important that the public are kept fully informed about the number of casualties occurring in these conflicts. It would be all too easy to sweep the facts and figures under the carpet so Mr Civilian can continue his life as normal, blissfully unaware of what is happening. Our govenment is sacrificing lives and spending huge amounts of money (that we don't have) fighting this war. I have absolutely no connection with the armed forces, but I feel very sorry for soldiers who are despatched to poorly planned and, according to the military, insufficiently funded wars in far off lands. We need our armed forces and it is the government's responsibilty to ensure that they are used wisely.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel very sorry for soldiers who are despatched to poorly planned and, according to the military, insufficiently funded wars in far off lands. We need our armed forces and it is the government's responsibilty to ensure that they are used wisely.
But you can say this for every war ever. Solders are always in tough situations it's part of their job. I mean look at WW1 and WW2, troops had sod all to be getting on with and they lost thousands a day and from my A-Level History lessons I remember there was less outcry about it than there is now.

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
:thumbs: PhlizAlfa. So how long did you soldier Ollie 87? :confused: Espirit des corps goes back a long way with our military history, and to form that bond with 'The Boys' is something that the average civvy may well never get to know!

We still get together with regular reunions, and yet my regiment disbanded in '69. Still extremely proud to see Her Majesty the Queen presenting new Colours, with all the battle honours embroidered past and latest, on them last year at the palace to the two remaining RTR regiments. Mottos of just two regiments, 'Fear Naught', and 'Death or Glory'.

Of course they are all mindful of the ultimate sacrifice they may have to make, and I'm so grateful that the good old British public respectfully support the return home of those who have given their all to us back in Blighty.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't get me wrong I support troops, I'm saying its like causalities aren't expected and if you look at the numbers they keep putting on the news it's sod all compared to other conflicts. Just seems daft.

It's very sad when a family loses a son or daughter in conflict. But it does happen and now-a-days people don't seem to expect to be killed in war.

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
PS Moderators, this thread will not become 'Out of Order' by my doing because in the main we were taught discipline and self control for most,( but perhaps not all up the Sqn Bar ?:D ) situations? :):

V

·
0 Posts
Ollie87, these current wars are very different from World Wars.

1. Just actually being there in the first place (Iraq and Afghanistan) is contentious. That makes it News when people die.

2. As has been stated, we now live in a 24hr News world.

3. These people have given their lives fighting for their country, they have made the ultimate sacrifice (for you and me, and in your name effectively, whether you like it or not).

4. The current conflicts not being on a World War scale, it is actually possible to give all the names of the people killed as and when it happens, there aren't sometimes hundreds of people dying some days.

5. If you don't like it, turn over to MTV/celeb News because every TV News source in this country, terrestrial or otherwise, sees fit to cover it.

I don't want to play the age card because I think I'm probably old enough to be your dad, but for all these reasons, this stuff is very important and most people want to know about it. I hope you can start to see that.

·
Registered
726 Posts
As VO2 has demonstrated, we can talk about the coverage without stepping on any 3rd rails.

Were I a news editor I could easily make my bulletins anti-war (e.g. lots of footage of funerals, crying relatives, strong focus on lack of military objectives achieved), or pro-war (talk up plans and objectives, restate the purpose often, interviews with senior officers, emphasise successes, little showing of funerals, show relatives being stoic and brave).

Where do people think the current coverage lies?

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
These soldiers that you dont really give a toss about are sent into war zones all over the world to serve their country, every one of them deserves a mention if they are killed as they are all heroes, perhaps we could get them out of those god forsaken holes ( Afghanistan, Iraq to name two ) and then we would not need a rolling death toll.

To all Servicemen and women serving this country I salute you all, god bless you :2:
amen ray :thumbs:
What Al said, Ray hit the nail on the head.

Ray, you just sound like a mindless patriot when you say stuff like that.
I assume that you do not know Ray that well then. I think if you spent time looking around the country, many people feel the same as Ray. Tell you what, how about you enter these theatres of war, and see what the soldiers really feel about their fellow servicemen and women who have died in combat.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Personally I'm not that fussed that we entered Iraq/Afghanistan. We made some difference, maybe some things are worse, maybe others are better. But we still got rid of governments that caused problems for the rest of the world.

The only I problem I have is that it seems like solders aren't mean to die during conflict.
Ollie, Ollie, Ollie, I'm just about able to contain myself. What were you thinking starting this thread?:eek: Thanks to fellow AO civilian and x Mil for concise, polite and explanatory emails. I'm too gobsmacked to speak right now and will revisit this later.

Ollie, Ollie, Ollie........................................:(

·
Registered
449 Posts
Don't get me wrong I support troops, I'm saying its like causalities aren't expected and if you look at the numbers they keep putting on the news it's sod all compared to other conflicts. Just seems daft.

It's very sad when a family loses a son or daughter in conflict. But it does happen and now-a-days people don't seem to expect to be killed in war.
Ollie, casualties are expected, 'causalities' are not.

Ollie, I don't know where to start with your thread and I'm scared that if I do, I won't stop. You clearly don't understand International, National, Regional and Local conflict and the Economic, Humanitarian and Social issues that effect and are effected by events across the globe (the ripple effect). The acrylic blue man made sweater you are wearing and the unwashed metro sexual skinny jeans you pull on everyday, have meaning in current conflicts all over the world. The iPOD you listen to, the pc you typed your crappy thread on......all the items to put your sticky uneducated fingers on, are connected with global events whether you like it or not. The average soldier (please excuse the description as no soldier is average really) carries out their role (aware of these issues) so you can freely go on the beer every weekend, not caring about the rest of the world or how it relates to you.

It matters greatly if a soldier or anyone in a conflict zone dies serving their country (enemy or friendly forces). At this point I think I have more respect for the Taliban than you because at least they understand what they are fighting and dying for. You are in the most democratic country in the world from where you can educate yourself freely and yet you still come out with statements that make you look ignorant.

And to anyone who says,' I am entitled to my opinion', you are and you have freedom of speech, but don't waste it and remember why you have it and still do.:D

And Ollie don't attack Ray for his loyalty please, or anyone else, :tut:

And Ollie, I don't mean to offend, I am just a little gob smacked at the casual attitude you have taken, to loss of life on your behalf. I have a uniform that would fit you. Please feel free to get in touch and I'll educate you (I look hot in combats too so you'll soon change your mind). ;)

And Ollie, I love Ross Kemp.

And Ollie, I do it for you! And if I meet my maker doing it, you'll know someone and you may feel different.

I've said too much, I ll get my smock............................:D

·
Registered
275 Posts
I didn't know what to reply to this post, other than to say if you don't want to watch it, then turn the news off! One trooper from 2RTR died in Sellyoak hospital yesterday, and my thoughts go to his family and relatives, as I'm sure do the wishes of all the Royal Tank Regiments Association members.

I feel for the sadness of ALL those related to service personnel who have lost loved ones serving Queen and country, regardless of any views on whether or not we should be there.
Agree completely with your words, see that you are ex R.T.R,(Tankie) myself ex R.E,(Sapper).
No one who as not served in the forces can fully understand the thoughts and feelings of what there Familys and there service Comrades are going through, fetches a lump to my throat, and sometimes have to wipe away a tear,at this complete waste of life.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts