Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most Germans want speed limit on autobahn?
[sup]Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:23am ET[/sup]
BERLIN (Reuters) - Nearly two in three Germans believe a speed limit should be introduced on the car-loving nation\'s notoriously fast autobahns, according to a new poll.

The European Union\'s environment commissioner Stavros Dimas and environmental activists in Germany have said speeding on the autobahn wastes energy and called for a speed limit. German Transport Minister Wolfgang Tiefensee has rejected the idea.

The poll for ZDF television published on Friday showed 54 percent of Germans favor a speed limit of 130 kph (80 mph) while another 10 percent would like a limit below that level. Some 35 percent said they did not want any speed limit.

At least a third of German motorways have a speed limit while the rest carry only a recommended top speed of 130 kph where legally drivers can, and often do, travel as fast as they like.

German car firms like BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche, which pride themselves on producing powerful vehicles, fear speed limits on the autobahn would remove some of the allure of their vehicles and harm sales.

The survey also showed that 56 percent of Germans believe flights should be taxed at a higher rate because of the environmental damage they cause
Source: Reuters.com

This would be awefull :( on of the last places where you can test your car without being punished :cry:

·
Registered
17,042 Posts
"The European Union\'s environment commissioner - and former kebab shop owner - Stavros Dimas,..."

The bit of me that's never driven on an autobahn, shudders at the carnage of an uberspeed collision.

The bit of me that loves cars and - more importantly - the freedom they give you, doesn't like the idea of a ban

Gotta say, Merc's and BMW's response was shockingly crude, and guaranteed to infuriate the greens. Oh, maybe that's why they said it :)

g

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Hyvice, watch a fair amount of German programmes via satellite and have noticed they seem to show more and more, bad crash scenes Autobahn related. Maybe this is intended to 'Shock' folks into thinking speed restrictions? Dunno':)

N

·
0 Posts
A concerted propaganda push? Could be.

Note how the EU guy talks about energy and
green stuff. No mention of accident/death rates.

Hmmmmm.......

·
Registered
17,042 Posts
A concerted propaganda push? Could be.

Note how the EU guy talks about energy and
green stuff. No mention of accident/death rates.

Hmmmmm.......
lol, indeed, but why let a mere detail like the facts spoil a perfectly good bunfight? :)

g

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The accident rate in germany is one of the lowest in Europe!!

I drove a lot in germany (had a special high-speed training) and the only times that I've been in dangerous situations over there, included foreigners. High-speed driving makes sure that you stay focussed, but even if your not driving fast yourself, the fact that some cars pass you with speeds above 200km/h makes sure that you pay attention all the time.

I've been driving the same way to mid-germany for 2 years, 2 times a month but I have no clue how it looks like next to the highway, where I can tell you every detail of the dutch roads.
For the environmental part, I have to agree, the car that I used for that normally used 10/11 liters each 100kms, in germany (usually driving 200~220km/h)it does 22/24 liters each 100kms. But it saves me more as an hour on 400kms, this includes re-fueling. Next year I'll try it with a diesel, so no re-fuel and faster accelerating from 80 to 200 (esp after re-map).

·
Registered
17,042 Posts
The accident rate in germany is one of the lowest in Europe!!
Indeed it is. I've never driven on an Autobahn, and I don't think (racks brains) that I've ever been driven on an Autobahn. Mind you, I've only been to Munich, and Frankfurt so not that familiar with Germany.

I agree that the highspeeds keep all drivers on their toes. Concentrate or die seems a pretty robust road safety policy to me :)

g

N

·
0 Posts
Yeah, but when you see this:
GERMANY'S ELECTRICITY GENERATION
48.9% - coal and lignite
27.5% - nuclear
10.2% - natural gas
4.5% hydro
4.1% - wind
1.6% - oil and diesel
3.2% - other (solar, biomass, waste)
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4357238.stm)

You can't take any country's green stance seriously
if they are producing 60% of their electricity from
fossil fuels and most of that is bloody coal FFS!

I'd be tempted to clean that lot up before targeting cars.

·
Registered
17,042 Posts
Yeah, but when you see this:
GERMANY'S ELECTRICITY GENERATION
48.9% - coal and lignite
27.5% - nuclear
10.2% - natural gas
4.5% hydro
4.1% - wind
1.6% - oil and diesel
3.2% - other (solar, biomass, waste)