Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys (and gals)

well we are half way in to the big day and have just visited mothercare. the person looked up on a database which seats will fit and where in the car.

After a little searching it was a resounding none. followed by 'no seat fits safely as per guidelines therefore we can't sell you one.'

after a lot of panic searching i found that an easyfix base will fit the front and as mines a phase 2 i can switch the airbag off, but this means my wife would have to scrunch into the back. not very practical.

so the question, has anybody had a rear facing seat in the rear of a gtv and if so which one and how. tried one today and with the seat slid as far forward as pos. it still hit the baby seat.

help!!

cheers

neil

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I used to put junior in the rear facing seat that came with our Mothercare Urban Detour buggy on the front seat with airbag turned off but not sure that you can get anything for newborns that fits in the back. Wasn't a big issue because usual family transport is a V70. He is now 2 and I have a Britax in the back of the GTV, forward facing behind the passenger. Its just a basic one (£60 from Trashco!) but well made and easily removed & blends right in with Meteor Grey/black leather! The front seat has to be almost fully forward though. Basically if you are an averagely tall family you are gonna be very squashed - if Mum's got to come too the GTV can't really hack it... I'd recommend an old V70 for cheap space - it just goes and goes!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeh saw a few cheap. was looking for an old 156 sw for a 12 months motoring. locally theres a 2.0 166 for £1200. also thought about being a bit quirky and grabbing a fiat multipla.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I think the only practical solution is rear facing seat in the front. Once they get a bit older it's not a problem because you'll get a front facing seat. I bought a 156 saloon when we had our second in December.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Apparently there's a Mamas and Papas model that does the job. :)

Check out this thread from a few years ago.

Don't know if that model's still available but its worth a PM to the chaps that had one.

Good luck. :thumbs:

·
Registered
Brera '08 JTDM SV
239 Posts
Neil,

As a father of three sons, all of whom seem to have survived the rigours of the nanny state, I'm extremely sceptical of places such as the one you vistited. Their main aim is to liberate you from your hard earned often by selling you a load of stuff you don't need e.g. steriliser, if you haven't already been conned already on that one. We had all sorts of fun with varous cars we were driving at the time: MR2, Audi 80 and the one that got a completely blank look, a Caterham. The simple truth is that car seats both front and rear are designed for lardy great adult arses and no child seat in the world is a perfect fit no matter what their list says. Common sense is your best guide. The object is for the child seat to sit down reasonably snuggly and not move about unduly under heavy braking. If you can achieve that then little monster will be as safe as you can reasonably achieve. Try borrowing off anyone you can (the dreaded NCT mums) and test them.

Congrats.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
We bought our baby car seats off ebay, many people were shocked because it might have been in an accident, incidently they cost £2 and £5 respectively for what were effectively brand new items.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i got our babys seat in the rear, the front seat has to be pushed forward a fair bit so it sits correctly but no problem at all.

When im on my own with her, as others have mentioned, there is plenty of room on the front seat and you can turn the airbag off. put the seat far forward and have your missis in the back ;)

dont listen to the numpties at mothercare

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
If you fit a baby seat in the front where is the Missus supposed to sit?

Our baby is due in July and I am going to try and find a seat for the back.

If not a sound proof box in the boot may be called for. :p

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you fit a baby seat in the front where is the Missus supposed to sit?

Our baby is due in July and I am going to try and find a seat for the back.

If not a sound proof box in the boot may be called for. :p
Would that box be for the missus then :)
Sorry, couldn't resist ....;)

And Nick, since when have you been all maternal and car seat experty ...:)

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Would that box be for the missus then :)
Sorry, couldn't resist ....;)

And Nick, since when have you been all maternal and car seat experty ...:)
The box would be for the missus. :D

A baby wouldn't shout at me for driving too fast and would stand a better chance of reading a map correctly. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts