Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, im a newbie round here.

I know this problem has been dragged up time and time again but I was wondering if someone could diagnose my problem.

Recently purchased a 159 1.9 jtdm 59 reg with faulty aircon. I took it for a recharge and the guy told me the system was bone dry! Anyway, he did his thing and all was sorted, has run for 2 weeks without fault. Then within the space of an hour or turning car off and on again, its stopped. Ive done all the usual checks, motor kicks in and engine revs alter for a few seconds.

When it was working it sounds like a mettalic noise from behind the dials and now theres a little rattle, any suggestions?

Other than that, superb car and look forward to being around the forum a bit more.

Dave

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd say a slow leak in your air con system.
Air con will work until the gas level drops below a certain level, and then stop cooling. The garage should be able to locate the leak with a visual inspection, as the gas will leave a slight stain were it is leaking from.
Also I believe that the gas itself acts as a lubricant for the air con pump when running, so a lower level may well explain the differing sound you are now getting.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Its obviously not holding a charge - take it back to the garage and ask them to check it properly this time....its an offence to allow refrigerant gas into a system that's known to leak....

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Needs a UV dye test.
The system is recharged with a UV dye in. Drive around for a day or so, return and the leak is easily seen with a black light.

Mine did the same, ended up being a split in the flexi hose section coming off the compressor.
New pipe was £134 (thank you Mr Alfa....), and needed the front bumper off to get at it.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Oh, you won't damage the compressor, unless that is the fault, as the system will shut down when pressure gets too low.
In-built safety feature to stop the compressor burning itself to oblivion.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mechanics at my work place have had a visual and are 99% certain the leak could be from the pump. They did a compression test and my system was empty again.

Thanks for the response's and help, nice to be a member of a friendly forum.

Any idea for prices with regards to repair or pump replacement.

Dave

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Pump (compressor) isn't a cheap one I'm afraid. Expect some 3 digit numbers to be involved....

It could be as simple as an O ring that has perished.

I've had to do that in the past, a 50p O ring had failed on one of the return pipes by the condenser, needed the bumper off again to get at it! I was pretty good at taking the 159 bumper off in the end....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts