Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I've just bought an Alfa romeo156 1.9jtd(or JTDm I don't know) manual gearbox, year 2002, It was for a cheap price but it is missing a lot of things, I have no idea how these cars perform as I've never owned a diesel car.
I have a lot of issues and I will start with some, the infocenter display is not quite clear and when it gets hot it fades, it is in italian and I don't understand it, I can't change anything in the display. someone told me that the display controls come with the original Audio system(which the previous owner removed and installed a crap stereo).
Below the gear shifter I have the fog lights buttons which are working, "ASR OFF" is stuck and not working, mirrors control is broken and not working(I can't adjust my mirrors).
Parking radar lights up sometimes and sometimes not, and when it does it doesnt give any information, just lights up..
a button at the end of the headlights switch I don't know what it does, I think it is the cruise control(I have the cruise control light on in my dashboard I don't know why and from where to turn it off or even if this car has cruise control ..).
The engine seems to run pretty good for me but I'm not satisfied with the power, the EGR cable is cut and cot connected, I think the previous owner disabled it but I'm not sure, The engine heat when i'm inside the city is around 70 but when I drive at higher speeds it gets to 50, when I stop it starts going up to normal(70ish).
when I accelerate the wheels don't spin, I don't know if it's some electronic stability system but I've been driving gasoline JDM cars and I even spin the wheels at third gear..
When I press the brake I can hear like Air coming out of somewhere, I have to say that the braking performance is not really good (brake discs are in bad condition tho), I don't know if that Air sound is normal or not.

I have the check engine light on and the ABS light on, I've done until now about 400km with it including 200km in highway at 120km/h, with very bad engine bushings and suspension.
Well these are the major problems I have apart from renewing/cleaning the interior and other basic stuff, I need to understand this car and why I have these issues, I don't trust mechanics, although, Alfa romeo parts are rare here in Morocco and especially in my small town. If you have more information about the car, like features, power, suggestions for better power(while keeping fuel economy) are very welcome.
Thanks in advance :smash:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Wow. Plenty to keep you busy.

Fading display is a common fault but you should be able to get the language sorted by pressing a few buttons.

The button on the end of the indicator stalk scrolls the info centre data. Doesn't sound like you have cruise control.

At the egr you may observe a blanking plate. If there isn't one then put one in. This my cause the eml to come on but this can be ignored.

Nothing works in the centre consol under the hand break. Check fuses as a start.

Your thermostat is stuck open. Common fault but the replacement is relatively expensive. I suspect from the condition of the car you are hoping to run this motor on a tight budget. Try putting a Renault 4 thermostat in the radiator hose. This is much much cheaper.

Brakes are biggest issue. Check pedal retains pressure and doesn't keep sinking. New discs and pads needed at minimum. Check for fluid loss. Air sound is not normal.

Read the engine check code with a mobile phone app and blue tooth dongle. Hopefully, the code is egr related. My guess is that your car will also be running without a maf sensor.

Hope some of this helps.

Edit: Hiss could be the vacuum pump.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
ESR button stuck is a common(ish) problem and a spray (no need to remove the part just spray around the switch) with switch / contact cleaner should unstick the button and have it working normally.

See this thread for a nice double din fitted to a 147 for £200. Though it does sound like you have better places for your cash on this car.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-andamp-gt/866746-double-din.html

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for the useful help, much appreciated !
I don't still don't know where the MAF sensor is located :/
About the brakes, when I pump the pedal quickly and continuously it becomes solid, I should let it like 3 seconds to fill air so I can be able to brake.
Tires not spinning when accelerating hard from a stand still, is it normal ? The engine performance seems good, not that much of power but it's okay for a car in such condition and with 426k km on it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Try alfaworkshop.co.uk they have some useful guides.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to know how to diagnose all the sensors, but I need to know where they're all located. I know absolutely nothing about these cars ...
If you have any advice about what I should check, let me know, the performance is not very satisfying tho.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
You have + info - buttons on the dash? Use these to change settings for the info centre, including language.

Cruise control is operated by a separate short column stalk behind the indicator/headlight stalk.

You could try searching for a download of the owners manual. They are linked to many times on this site.

426,000km? Good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You have + info - buttons on the dash? Use these to change settings for the info centre, including language.

Cruise control is operated by a separate short column stalk behind the indicator/headlight stalk.

You could try searching for a download of the owners manual. They are linked to many times on this site.

426,000km? Good luck!
Yes I have those and they're not working with the infocenter I have no idea why....
I will search for the manual, by the way I just want to unlock my car and it doesn't want :$ it is obviously the central locking system and not the battery.
how unlOcky....
EDIT: I've managed to unlock the car and changed the central locking system(it didn't have the OEM one installed)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts