Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly I'd like to say hello as this is my first post.

I'm in the process of picking my next car and this process always takes me ages, i'll probably take the plunge in the second quarter. I've been searching like crazy on here getting all the info I can but would be greatful if anyone could help with some questions.

1. How is the Giulietta selling? Might seem a strange one but I figure the current offers are in an attempt to boost sales and imagine these will change next quarter. I very rarely see any Gs on my daily commute.

2. I'm probably going to lease. This means I'll be limiting the options to keep the cost down. I'm thinking Veloce and only adding 18s, parking sensors and maybe one other cheapie which I can't remember at the moment. What does everyone rate as the best options to add?

3. Has anyone managed to sweeten the pot with freebies when doing the deal? I like to squeeze a deal as hard as possible and didn't think this possible with a lease but when I spoke to the dealer he said a sale is a sale to him.

4. Does anyone have any experience of Western SAAB/***** in Glasgow? This is my local dealership and who I would be going through I believe unless I used a leasing company.

5. The last point isn't really a question I suppose but more a statement that might merit come comment. I'm leaning towards the 1.4MA after test driving one last week. Up until 2 years ago I always drove hot hatches so have been raised on petrol. Since then I've owned a diesel 1 series which was shockingly bad, a 320d which was better but boring as hell and currently in an A3 sportback 2.0tdi DSG which is actually pretty good. I mainly use my car to commute doing 30 miles each way 50/50 town and motorway. I get about 45mpg actual, not trip computer from the A3. I realise the 1.4MA will be worse (low 40s at very best) but figure the difference in cost between petrol and diesel (which is only going to get worse IMO) will even it out. I guess what I'm asking here is, does this sound like madness and will I be in for a horrible shock? I've checked Fuelly but there are so few Gs on there and for the most part it's impossible to tell if the people quoting figures on here are using the trip computer or actual brim tests for figures.

EDIT: Oh yea, I meant to say that the reason for the title "save me from buying a VAG" is because that's what I'll probably end up doing if I can't reassure myself enough about going Italian. My wife wants me to get a Scirocco despite the fact that we will soon have 2 kids under the age of 2.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Do it

I can only help with certain things, not a petrol head,[or diesel head] and never really used to be into my cars until, i owned an Alfa Romeo:)
Bought a Mito 1.4 Veloce couple of years ago yes it had some MINOR issues but it was a new model so i expected it, and indeed Loved it and so the Alfa affair began. My Wife also not into cars said it was something special, the drive, the way it looks,the admiring glances, nothing out there like it .
Just exchanged for a Giulietta 2.0 170jtdm2 , my first Diesel car bit too big for us but it was all we could get; spec/price /model/ color, used 8Months old 8500 on clock with some nice extras.
Fit / finish is just superb, Veloce spec interior is very special [in my opinion] classy refined. I have the 18" but not by choice [already on her] very nice but just kerbed one ouch! Parking sensors are a must as are Brembo [fair price] red calipers + Winter pack [not going to mention Heated washers]
We test drove the 1.4 ma and it would have been my choice if we had one. Take one out and see for your self, Alfa Romeo really do make something very special which pulls at our hearts. Had our G for a week now and not been out in her as much as i would like to , but so glad i bought another Alfa.
I dare say plenty of people on here will give you a more constructive post than mine, i hope i have helped somewhat. Did i mention d mode!
PS For all the bad press Alfa get; i have just been on 2 forums , 1 f---kuga, 2vwsiroc both those forums are FULL of people with MAJOR ISSUES. The one time i had to contact Alfa Romeo regarding an issue was treated with the utmost care and consideration worthy of such a Marque.Good luck.:thumbs:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Firstly I'd like to say hello as this is my first post.

I'm in the process of picking my next car and this process always takes me ages, i'll probably take the plunge in the second quarter. I've been searching like crazy on here getting all the info I can but would be greatful if anyone could help with some questions.

1. How is the Giulietta selling? Might seem a strange one but I figure the current offers are in an attempt to boost sales and imagine these will change next quarter. I very rarely see any Gs on my daily commute.

2. I'm probably going to lease. This means I'll be limiting the options to keep the cost down. I'm thinking Veloce and only adding 18s, parking sensors and maybe one other cheapie which I can't remember at the moment. What does everyone rate as the best options to add?

3. Has anyone managed to sweeten the pot with freebies when doing the deal? I like to squeeze a deal as hard as possible and didn't think this possible with a lease but when I spoke to the dealer he said a sale is a sale to him.

4. Does anyone have any experience of Western SAAB/***** in Glasgow? This is my local dealership and who I would be going through I believe unless I used a leasing company.

5. The last point isn't really a question I suppose but more a statement that might merit come comment. I'm leaning towards the 1.4MA after test driving one last week. Up until 2 years ago I always drove hot hatches so have been raised on petrol. Since then I've owned a diesel 1 series which was shockingly bad, a 320d which was better but boring as hell and currently in an A3 sportback 2.0tdi DSG which is actually pretty good. I mainly use my car to commute doing 30 miles each way 50/50 town and motorway. I get about 45mpg actual, not trip computer from the A3. I realise the 1.4MA will be worse (low 40s at very best) but figure the difference in cost between petrol and diesel (which is only going to get worse IMO) will even it out. I guess what I'm asking here is, does this sound like madness and will I be in for a horrible shock? I've checked Fuelly but there are so few Gs on there and for the most part it's impossible to tell if the people quoting figures on here are using the trip computer or actual brim tests for figures.

EDIT: Oh yea, I meant to say that the reason for the title "save me from buying a VAG" is because that's what I'll probably end up doing if I can't reassure myself enough about going Italian. My wife wants me to get a Scirocco despite the fact that we will soon have 2 kids under the age of 2.
1 - I am seeing them more and more, which must be a good sign :)
2 - as above, either/and or red calipers (as these are actually 4 pot 330mm brembos)
3 - I'm sure you could get some mats and other shiney things chucked in, personally i got nothing for free but a good part ex deal.
4 - Nope sorry my nearest ALFA is 1 mile up the road all the way down here in Poole :D
5 - My MA 170 Veloce gets 34MPG but that is 100% short town trips
6 - Sciroccos are squashed golfs, the smoother ride, darkened interior, easy to clean seats in the veloce will save alot of time and effort, also the safest hatchback on the road and has 5 doors whilst remaining looking like a 3 door, a no brainer i think ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The post is indeed helpful Gaza, thanks for taking the time. I took the 1.4MA for a good long test drive last Friday. The ride and handling was superb compared to my A3 Sline which is on Eibach proline springs so not really surprising that it was smoother. I drove in a pretty reserved manner but was impressed enough when I did give it a little tickle in D mode.

I was all for the Brembos but they were on the car I tested and i hated them. I've got uprated brakes on my current car but the brembos just felt like total overkill on the 1.4MA and seemed to be either fully on or fully off at low speeds.

I'd also like to say that I was really impressed with the interior and overall quality. Especially since I had just stepped out of an Audi with a supposedly very good interior into the G. I'm not that worried about reliability as I'll be leasing and will be fully warrantied. I'd always said I'd only own an Alfa under these circumstances but now think that way about every car since my 1 series had a cambelt failure at 24k miles causing £2.5k of damage.... 2 weeks out of warranty. :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jamie, is that 34mpg on the trip computer or the actual figure? It seems a lot of the people driving the 1.4MA are doing mainly short town driving so it's hard for me to figure. The car I tested was the salesmans company car and he actually does more or less the same commute as me. The trip was showing 38mpg in that and he admitted that he ragged it everywhere in D mode.

The other thing I meant to ask is does anyone miss the absence of a footrest? I've had one in every car for the last couple of years and am concerned I'm going to miss it on the motorway. I didn't miss it on the test but you know what these things are like, you're so busy playing that you don't notice the little annoyances.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I can't talk about the Giulietta yet (I don't get my hands on it for another 5 or 6 weeks), but I have been an Alfa owner for the last 17 years...nearly. In that time I have had 4 - 145, 2 GTV's (2,0 and 3.0) and my current mount, a Brera JTDM. In that time the reliability has been very good, if not outstanding. In that time I have had one very small body issue (over zealous seam sealant causing paint bubbling - fixed under warranty with no argument), a chafed cable on the Brera which knocked out a load of electronics (including the turbo) but that was fixed by an AA man inside 30 mins from the call, and towards the end of my 3.0 GTV ownership chunks of suspension wore out from about year 7 onwards - but that model is known to chomp suspension.

Contrary to urban myth I have had no electronic problems (barring that noted above), no rust, no leaks.....

Alfa ownership has been fun. The dealer I use has been exemplary.

What more can I say....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi

Cant comment too much as mine (when it comes - order in & waiting for official due date) is company car and no extras! Had to get Lusso petrol but if I had choice would have had Veloce with parking sensors and the paddles for TCT. Others have said 18 inch can be hard on pot holed roads.

As for selling well, I still see too many which is a good thing - keeps the G special rather than the mass of VAGS!

I have had a 147 in the past and whilst a few little issues, dealer was great down here, it makes a big difference. Any car can have problems and the feeling that driving an Alfa gives you is fantastic.

Go for it - you know you want to!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Don´t think i can ad more than already said, except for the brakes... Alfa brakes are like that, when you come from almost any other brand you tend to over brake in the beginning, and then you learn to dose it... Try driving a G for a week or so, and then get back in the A3, it will feel like it has no brakes.
And the brake thing is both on the standard brakes and the brembos.

·
Registered
34,381 Posts
Don´t think i can ad more than already said, except for the brakes... Alfa brakes are like that, when you come from almost any other brand you tend to over brake in the beginning, and then you learn to dose it... Try driving a G for a week or so, and then get back in the A3, it will feel like it has no brakes.
And the brake thing is both on the standard brakes and the brembos.
are you sure? I find the Giulietta brakes a lot more progressive than the binary Audi A3 brakes I had on my three A3 Sportbacks. Perhaps it's the Brembos that are too agressive? The standard brakes have a bit of "slack" except when the prefill operates following a lift-of of the throttle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that if I was buying rather than leasing then the brakes would be a definite purely because they would make the car more attractive come resale time (this assumption is based purely on their popularity on this forum:)). If I had them I dare say I would get used to them but I really did feel they were too snatchy around town. My current A3 sportback has S3 brakes with drilled and grooved discs and although they can stop you on a six pence they just feel better modulated than the Brembos did.

It would be nice to get a full day or weekend test drive before ordering but it was difficult enough even getting an hour test drive.

I counted Gs on the way to work this morning. Counted 0 of them. Counted 6 Mitos though.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
1. How is the Giulietta selling?
sales stats are in this thread
Summary: really rather good, but going to be about 2% of UK market, which is just enough.
Sales offers are only on par with other manufacturers, nothing panicky about them.
Have a look at the Giulietta spotted thread - I think they are easier to spot at night, personally :cheese:

2. I'm probably going to lease.
Good plan - 0% on a good PCP is a great deal, and residuals are predicted to be high. There are some residual value clues in this thread and many of the larger UK car review sites have similar calculators

Options? Veloce, yes. Red Brakes in 18" rims are a must: £1300 of brembos for £300. Reversing sensors will save you time and money. Keep the standard audio, microfibre seats, lights. Spend £60 on Halfords +120% bulbs (H1 and H7) and spend a hour replacing them (in joke).
3. Has anyone managed to sweeten the pot with freebies when doing the deal?
They get a bit of a kick back from Alfa UK, and something on the lease. The dealer margin is not huge, but you get at least 3 years servicing free, and should also get:
  • mats
  • bunch of flowers for the wife
  • bottle of wine for the glove box
  • a free Alfa umbrella
  • full tank of fuel
  • 7 days free insurance cover
  • Alfa roadside assistance and online / phone help
  • road fund licence (6m normally, 12m if you ask)
4. Does anyone have any experience of Western SAAB
not me

5. I'm leaning towards the 1.4MA
The 1.4MA is a total blast, and, if you drive in N with a light foot, is very economical. Fuelly figures are from the garage receipt, not the dashboard mpg. The problem is, when you own it, you will want to press on hard in D mode and use all 170bhp (and those red brakes), so you might want to read all the way through the fuel economy thread for your model as well, where owners are getting 32mpg to 50mpg depending entirely on driving style and routes.

As they say in America "your mileage may vary" :thumbs:

This forum exists to save people from boring cars - so, even if you don't buy this time, stay here anyway!

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
Hi,

Can't add much to what was said before except on the dealer bit. I use Western in Perth & they have been great. Western overall has a good rep but if you post this question in the South Scotland lounge

South Scotland - Alfa Romeo Forum

I'm sure some of the people who have direct experience of Western in Glasgow can tell you better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some very helpful people on this forum. I'm glad I joined.

I think I would do personal Contract hire rather than the PCP deal. Initial payment and monthlies are cheaper, before options and extra mileage allowances are included. Plus, the longest I've ever managed to keep a car was 3 years so would probably go insane on a 4 year PCP. 3 years with no get out will be hard enough.

The sweeteners sound good but to be honest I'd let them keep all that if they gave me free parking sensors. My driveway is in a narrow lane with a wall opposite the drive so they are very handy to me. I read the long running thread on bulb replacement and the hassles of changing. It can't be worse than an e90 3 series, it involved removing front wheels and employment of another pair of hands, i've still got the scars.

Found some reviews of Western on here and they were all glowing. I suppose the only thing I would need to worry about is the fact that it's mainly SAAB at the moment so future is in the balance. All the sales guys looked a bit defeated when i popped in. First time I've ever felt sorry for a salesman :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Jamie, is that 34mpg on the trip computer or the actual figure? It seems a lot of the people driving the 1.4MA are doing mainly short town driving so it's hard for me to figure. The car I tested was the salesmans company car and he actually does more or less the same commute as me. The trip was showing 38mpg in that and he admitted that he ragged it everywhere in D mode.

The other thing I meant to ask is does anyone miss the absence of a footrest? I've had one in every car for the last couple of years and am concerned I'm going to miss it on the motorway. I didn't miss it on the test but you know what these things are like, you're so busy playing that you don't notice the little annoyances.
According to the computer, which seems pretty accurate to me! and that does involve a bit of D mode on pretty much every drive!

In regards to the brakes, surly it is better to have better brakes considering the kids in the back, you will get use to them and they look very cool.

No footrest didnt bother me in the slightest, there is loads of room under the pedals for motorway cruising :)

Im sure they could sort out the sensors as a deal breaker! if they agree to it, ensure they are FACTORY FITTED as you will get a nifty radar display on the dash :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Been playing around with the configurator thingy this lunch time and I've discovered that if i go for a Lusso I can stick with the black paint which lets me get my dream combo of lovely red leather :D Then all I need to add is 18" wheels and I still come in £1000 under the price of a Veloce which has my second colour option of Alfa red and keeping the interior basic. A Veloce with black and Red leather is out of my acceptable price range. I'm not fussed about dark headlining if I have my lovely red leather and all the other wee silvery metal bits here and there don't bother me that much.

This could be the way to go I'm thinking. Although I'm still not adding those brakes no matter how many people tell me to :lol:

·
Registered
209 Posts
to be honest, i don't think you need the brembos, the standard brakes are really good anyway - and even better in d :)

don't go VAG! get the G, much better option, it really is a fantastic car and i'm sure you won't regret not following the golf/a3 herd.

the MA is a brilliant engine, and has a surprising amount of low end torque. the diesels seem to be very popular but petrol always gets my vote.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Don't forget the Veloce also comes with sideskirts, darkened headlights etc, i think the G looks very high without sideskirts, but even with them i guess the price will be lower!

Also the Lusso comes with reverse sensors as standard ;)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I was all for the Brembos but they were on the car I tested and i hated them. I've got uprated brakes on my current car but the brembos just felt like total overkill on the 1.4MA and seemed to be either fully on or fully off at low speeds.
on my first test drive in a 1.4MA G with standard brakes i thought i was going to crack my head on the sun visor :lol:
I came out of a 147 diesel and the G's brakes felt so sharp for the 3 or 4 miles of the test drive.
I have Brembos on mine and didnt think they were any sharper than the standard ones. After 50-100 miles i got totally used to them and dont get whiplash any more :).
It's probably that you are just used to applying more pressure to your current cars brakes. It does take a few miles to adjust.
If you are thinking of 5 hole 18" wheels, red brembos look so much better than standard callipers.
If you are thinking of the 18" turbines the callipers are less visible so therefore less noticeable.

P

·
0 Posts
1. Sales: Alfa has sold over 140 000 Giuliettas world wide since its launch... So its selling pretty well. In fact its currently occupying the largest market share that Alfa has ever had in the hatchback market. That says a lot about the Giulietta.

Get the petrol. It sounds SO much better than a diesel (especially in Dynamic mode).

Brakes: Well the standard ones are extremely sharp in Dynamic (when the prefill technology kicks in). So Brembo's is not a must have.

Fuel.. I get about 8.5l/100kms with pretty spirited driving.. 60% of it is motorways tho.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts